EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

FCE trouble

For general discussion between ESL teachers.

Moderator: Susan

FCE trouble

Unread postby Septembergirl » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:39 pm

Hi everyone! I decided to post here because of a kind of problem I have. There is a student of mine who needs to prepare FCE exam and take it in December.what really worries me is that he does not have the required level. He failed the PET exam some time ago and now we only have two months to basically improve his level of English and I am under a big pressure because he needs to past in order to get a job...so I would very much appreciate if you could share your experiences and give me some tips on how to organize our one on one time in order to make him pass! In spite of my teaching experience I just don't know where to start...thank you!!!
Septembergirl

Re: FCE trouble

Unread postby Syl » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:17 am

Dear Septembergirl,

I don't know how much time you have at your disposal on a weekly basis (once a week, twice? other?) because you say that your pupil doesn't have the necessary level. If you may help him on a daily basis, then probably you can obtain some results. First of all, the reading part. You must do lots of reading with him, teaching him reading comprehension techniques, how to answer multiple choice questions, how to understand without a dictionary and so on. This will enrich his vocabulary and improve his level. Writing needs also lots of practicing, use the POS technique (parts of speech). Teach him the different formats (email, article, report, story, etc.) explaining how to do the opening, the body and the closure. I use to do a brainstorming introduction every time my students must write something.

There is also the "use of English" test, which includes the use of grammar and vocabulary. This is also acquired through much reading. Attention must be given to spelling, and reading is a fantastic way to improve this skill.

Finally you have listening and speaking. Giving him listening comprehension exercises, and the techniques certainly will help. Regarding the speaking part, don't allow him to talk to you in his mother tongue, only English.

I hope you have the necessary time to work on all this. Good luck!!! :-)

Syl

Syl's English Corner - Learn English and Have Fun
http://www.ginnegar.0catch.com
Syl
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread postby Septembergirl » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:06 pm

Syl wrote:Dear Septembergirl,

I don't know how much time you have at your disposal on a weekly basis (once a week, twice? other?) because you say that your pupil doesn't have the necessary level. If you may help him on a daily basis, then probably you can obtain some results. First of all, the reading part. You must do lots of reading with him, teaching him reading comprehension techniques, how to answer multiple choice questions, how to understand without a dictionary and so on. This will enrich his vocabulary and improve his level. Writing needs also lots of practicing, use the POS technique (parts of speech). Teach him the different formats (email, article, report, story, etc.) explaining how to do the opening, the body and the closure. I use to do a brainstorming introduction every time my students must write something.

There is also the "use of English" test, which includes the use of grammar and vocabulary. This is also acquired through much reading. Attention must be given to spelling, and reading is a fantastic way to improve this skill.

Finally you have listening and speaking. Giving him listening comprehension exercises, and the techniques certainly will help. Regarding the speaking part, don't allow him to talk to you in his mother tongue, only English.

I hope you have the necessary time to work on all this. Good luck!!! :-)

Syl

Syl, thank you for your answer.it's been a while since i last visited the forum. We've been working with my student for a little bit more than a month now and I must admit it's not an easy task at all. First of all, the classes are twice a week due to his schedule. The structure of the exam, the tasks and how to do them is something we've got clear. But the listening comprehension is a real disaster. He doesn't understand the speakers, so it's impossible to get the task done. I speak English with him in class and ask him to do the same, but here we face another trouble, the lack of vocabulary. I feel that it's a huge challenge for him to be able to pass as the level is not enough for the exam. We have improved some things, such as reading and some parts of use of English, but writing is still full of mistakes and listening seems impossible. What would you recommend in order to teach him understand the listening part? Obviously i cannot dedicate more time to teaching all the new vocabulary as time is what we do not have. Neither can he listen more at home due to his lack of time, although that might be of a great help...thank you!
Septembergirl

Unread postby Syl » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:16 pm

Oh, I am also replying to you with a big delay, I am sorry!

Before proceding with my advice, are you still working with him?

Syl
Syl
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Return to ESL Teacher Discussion