EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

COULD U HELP ME About GRAMMAR TRANSLATION METHOD ?

For general discussion between ESL teachers.

Moderator: Susan

COULD U HELP ME About GRAMMAR TRANSLATION METHOD ?

Unread postby sidan » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:10 am

HI EVERYONE,
I would like to know how to use GT in an effective way in teaching English as a foriegn language. Is it only useful for in Reading skills? Do any of u know/have any articles concerning this teaching method for TEFL.

Thanx,
:D
sidan
Busy Member
Busy Member

Re: COULD U HELP ME About GRAMMAR TRANSLATION METHOD ?

Unread postby stamatis » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:31 pm

Dear Sidan,
I am currently attending an MA in Tesol and I find it very interesting and challenging. The Grammar Translation Method is a second language teaching method.
This approach was generalised to teaching modern languages and in the past was used in teaching Greek and Latin.
Classes are taught in the students' mother tongue, with little active use of the target language. Vocabulary is taught in the form of isolated word lists. Elaborate explanations of grammar are always provided. Grammar instruction provides the rules for putting words together; instruction often focuses on the form and inflection of words. Reading of difficult texts is begun early in this course of study. Little attention is paid to the content of texts, which are treated as exercises in grammatical analysis. Often the only drills are exercises, in translating disconnected sentences from the target language into the mother tongue, and vice versa. Little or no attention is given to pronunciation.
For further info I would visit the following web-site: http://www.onestopenglish.com then on your left there is a column where you must spot the word methodologies. Click on that and you'll find all the teaching approaches methods.
Stamatis
stamatis

Return to ESL Teacher Discussion