Closing a Meeting
There are different reasons why a meeting comes to an end. Time may run out, or all of the items in the agenda may be checked off. Some meetings will end earlier than expected and others will run late. The odd time, a meeting may be cut short due to an unexpected problem or circumstance. Here are a variety of ways to adjourn a meeting:
- It looks like we've run out of time, so I guess we'll finish here.
- I think we've covered everything on the list.
- I guess that will be all for today.
- Well, look at that...we've finished ahead of schedule for once.
- If no one has anything else to add, then I think we'll wrap this up.
- I'm afraid we're going to have to cut this meeting short. I've just been informed of a problem that needs my immediate attention.
There is almost always one last thing to say, even after the closing remarks. A chairperson might close the meeting and then make a last-minute reminder. Instructions for tidying up the room may also be mentioned.
- Oh, before you leave, please make sure to sign the attendance sheet.
- I almost forgot to mention that we're planning a staff banquet next month.
- Don't forget to put your ballot in the box on your way out.
- If I didn't already say this, please remember to introduce yourself to the new trainees.
- Could I have your attention again? I neglected to mention that anyone who wants to take home some of this leftover food is welcome to.
- If you could all return your chair to Room 7 that would be appreciated.
- Please take all of your papers with you and throw out any garbage on your way out.
Thank You's and Congratulations
The end of the meeting is also the time to thank anyone who has not been thanked at the beginning of the meeting, or anyone who deserves a second thank you. Congratulations or Good-luck can also be offered here to someone who has experienced something new, such as receiving a promotion, getting married, or having a baby.
- Before I let you go let's all give a big thank you (everyone claps) to Thomas for baking these delicious cookies.
- Again, I want to thank you all for taking time out of your busy schedules to be here today.
- Most of you probably already know this, but Nolan's wife just gave birth to a baby boy.
- As you leave today, don't forget to wish Stella luck on the weekend.The next time you see her she will be happily married.
In the closing remarks, the chairperson, or participants may want to discuss the date and time for the next meeting, when the minutes will be available, or when a decision should be made by. This is also the time to give contact information, such as how to send a question by e-mail or who to call regarding a certain issue.
- We'll meet again on the first of next month.
- Next time we meet I'll be sure to have those contacts for you.
- If anyone has any questions about anything we discussed today, feel free to send me an e-mail.
- The minutes from today's meeting will be posted as of tomorrow afternoon.
- I'll send out a group e-mail with the voting results.