7 Tips for Learning English Vocabulary
1. Read whenever possible. Whether it is novel or a magazine or something trivial, pay close attention to anything with writing on it. The more you are exposed to words, the more you will learn. Do not skip unfamiliar words: if you don’t know what a word means, look it up and make a note of it.
2. Write down new words. Writing the actual word with the meaning will help you remember it. Keep a diary so that you will have a collection of all your new words that you can easily revise when needed.
3. Vocally practise new words. Have a “word of the day” and use your newly learnt word throughout the day so you will learn to use it in context and not forget it quickly.
4. Visually remembering words is very helpful. Try writing words on small sticky notes and adding them to items around the house so that you will associate new words with their relevant images.
5. Play word games online and look up the meanings of new words as you encounter them. Scrabble is a fun game to play for this purpose.
6. Use new words regularly so that you don’t forget them. Write articles that people will enjoy reading or start a blog that could be about anything.
7. Correspond with an English pen friend. The best way to gain confidence in speaking any language is by talking to a native speaker.
Cheryl Morris is a writer, photographer, graphic designer and mother of four. She also works for Click Souvenirs, a leading online London souvenir shop.
Superb tips…..thanks a lot……it Will help me to enrich my vocabus
Awesome article!Personally, I’m a huge fan of flashcards and I’ve been looking for the best software for a long time. I’ve tried Quizlet, Anki, Memrise, etc. But the best one I’ve found was WordUp. It seems like it’s not too popular, I have no idea why… the website is really clear and You can use it as an app. But the best thing about it is there are a few short films which show you how to use that particular word in Sentence . (And you can download it for free!). I suggest to everyone. You can find it on: https://wordupapp.co
A great idea, I will implement these tips for learning other languages too.