7 Tips for Learning English VocabularyCheryl Morris
1. Read whenever possible. Whether it is novel or a magazine or something trivial, pay close attention to anything with writing on it. The more you are exposed to words, the more you will learn. Do not skip unfamiliar words: if you don’t know what a word means, look it up and make a note of it.
2. Write down new words. Writing the actual word with the meaning will help you remember it. Keep a diary so that you will have a collection of all your new words that you can easily revise when needed.
3. Vocally practise new words. Have a “word of the day” and use your newly learnt word throughout the day so you will learn to use it in context and not forget it quickly.
4. Visually remembering words is very helpful. Try writing words on small sticky notes and adding them to items around the house so that you will associate new words with their relevant images.
5. Play word games online and look up the meanings of new words as you encounter them. Scrabble is a fun game to play for this purpose.
6. Use new words regularly so that you don’t forget them. Write articles that people will enjoy reading or start a blog that could be about anything.
7. Correspond with an English pen friend. The best way to gain confidence in speaking any language is by talking to a native speaker.
Cheryl Morris is a writer, photographer, graphic designer and mother of four. She also works for Click Souvenirs, a leading online London souvenir shop.
Kelly Yu says:
Very good tips. Thanks so much.
Hope to use these suggestions to learn more words.
Mazhar Elgazeery says:
These tips are very helpful 😃
And contain a lot of Knowledge 🤠💜
Thank you for your efforts 😘
This comment is written in 2021 😎😂🙏💖
I master how to remember some unfamiliar words . there are many ways, for example you can play games, read plenty of English books, watch American movies, etc. Importantly, setting a goal that one day learn several words to achieve it, when you learn new words, you can review precious words.
I do feel gratitude for you useful tips
Rami Patsen says:
Thanks for your tips! That’s exactly what I’m trying to do. And the more I read and use words, the better I remember them. The main thing for me is to study words in thematic categories and for a few days or even weeks practice reading and speaking words and texts on a particular theme. Even though my vocabulary isn’t that large yet, I’m already proud that I can write in English with some confidence.
Divyani Mahajan says:
Ur teaching way is good but if u will post videos in simple wayy so the viewers will understand it better
You’re absolutely right, thank a tons for info.
I really like this idea. All I want is to improve my English Language on youtube/c/learnenglishfast
Chandra Shekhar says:
It seems very helpful platform for learning English.
How can I find a native speaker to talking with him or practice with him?
thanks for sharing :333
Mustafa elsedig says:
thank you teacher for your useful advice
I don’t speak English perfectly but I just try to write something because I want to grow my confidence and hope you understand my feeling and my English speaking problem.
Tuan Ngo says:
Thanks you very much. I’ll apply and make my life more beautiful ^^
i think it is very intersting for someones study languages. I was had a time i do not know English, but now i can do every thing in english.So i think it very intersting.
Very interesting proces
How a good idea-!!
I will try it soon(☆▽☆)
Esubalew Mengist says:
all of the tips are so intersting for someones language learning,so i will try to practis daily in this way.thank you!
All inspiring!i am fascinating to enrich my vocabulary
Naim Mohammadi says:
A great Idea,
I Well Recommended To Other To Learn New Languages.
Superb tips…..thanks a lot……it Will help me to enrich my vocabus
Awesome article!Personally, I’m a huge fan of flashcards and I’ve been looking for the best software for a long time. I’ve tried Quizlet, Anki, Memrise, etc. But the best one I’ve found was WordUp. It seems like it’s not too popular, I have no idea why… the website is really clear and You can use it as an app. But the best thing about it is there are a few short films which show you how to use that particular word in Sentence . (And you can download it for free!). I suggest to everyone. You can find it on: https://wordupapp.co
A great idea, I will implement these tips for learning other languages too.