Listen&Learn: A Room of One’s OwnJaksyn Peacock
- feminism: the movement for women’s rights
- essay: a short piece of writing about a certain topic
- absence: the lack of something
- independence: the ability to control your own life
- disadvantage: something that makes success difficult
1. A Room of One's Own is
A Room of One's Own is an essay.
2. Virginia Woolf believed more women could have written books if they'd had
Virginia Woolf believed more women could have written books if they'd had money and independence.
3. In 1928, Woolf
In 1928, Woolf presented her essay at a women's university.
- Why did Woolf believe that “a woman must have money and a room of her own if she is to write fiction”?
- Do you think that feminist works from the 1920s are still relevant? Why or why not?
A Room of One’s Own is a feminist essay written by English author Virginia Woolf. The essay’s main argument is that “a woman must have money and a room of her own if she is to write fiction”. Woolf came to this conclusion after noticing the absence of female writers in history. She believed that many more women could have written books if they’d had money and independence. Woolf first presented A Room of One’s Own at a women’s university in 1928, and published it as a book one year later. This was a time when women still faced many disadvantages in life. Woolf’s essay was one of the first well-known feminist works, and it is still famous today.
Search for more Listen&Learn stories:
Tahany EL-sherif says:
Thank you for giving us this chance to read this .
it’s a very good effort to let the people know the history, I Need to read more and more a bout women in history , spicialy ladies who sucsed to live independint .
Mya Mya Ei says:
mahsa ebrahimi says:
these short stories are very useful . thanks
WELLINGTON SILVA says:
If you’re reading this, congrats! Excellent exercise!Tanks
These stories are very useful for learning, Because they are simple, very short, and understandable. Tanks
Suad Mohamad says:
I like learn English
I like this sort of learning exercise.
Hamade Esmail Joao says:
Great essay. It is also a way of learning and practicing our listenning skill
Rana Muhammad Dildar says:
That is a very good effort to let the people know the history and background of women writing, publishing and circumvention in their way.
Christine PENNEC says: