Anne of Green GablesJaksyn Peacock
- classify: to put something into a certain category
- fictional: created for the purpose of a story; not real
- adopt: to take in and raise someone else’s child
- imaginative: creative; having a big imagination
- orphan: a child whose parents have died
- inspire: to influence the creation of something
1. Matthew and Marilla originally wanted to adopt
Matthew and Marilla originally wanted to adopt a young boy.
2. Anne got to stay with Matthew and Marilla because
Anne got to stay with Matthew and Marilla because they heard how she'd grown up and felt sorry for her.
3. The book "Anne of Green Gables" sold
The book "Anne of Green Gables" sold 50 million copies.
- Anne Shirley has been called “the dearest, most moving and delightful child since the immortal Alice” by author Mark Twain. If you’ve read “Anne of Green Gables”, what do you think makes Anne so lovable?
Anne of Green Gables is a classic novel written by Canadian author Lucy Maud Montgomery. The novel was published in 1908, and is classified as children’s literature, though it is enjoyed by people of all ages. The story is set on a farm in the fictional town of Avonlea, where siblings Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert live. The siblings are hoping to adopt a young boy to help them out on the farm. Instead, they are given an imaginative orphan girl named Anne Shirley, who has never had a real home. After learning how Anne grew up, Matthew and Marilla feel sorry for her and decide to keep her. The story continues to follow Anne as she gets older and forms friendships with other children in Avonlea. The book has sold over 50 million copies and has been translated into 36 languages. After writing Anne of Green Gables, Montgomery published seven additional books about Anne’s life. These novels have inspired several film and television adaptations, and Anne’s story is still loved by children and adults alike.
Search for more Listen&Learn stories:
AnnieNgoc, I’ve read all 8 “Anne” books. Matthew and Marilla are, indeed, brother and sister, not a couple.
hold on…In the noveL Matthew and Marilla Cuthber are couple not siblings.
An inspiring novel
Giyas Ayberk says:
I dont understand at least 40%
I really like this story I would prefer to read more story, so I will more improve the way I am today.
Duyen nguyen says:
very good. A great listening song
Rosa Valderrama says:
I’m grateful for having the opportunity to practice listening and writing.
Luis Jiménez says:
Thanks for give us this wonderful story writing for all kind of people, I think it is a famous play that was written forever and ever
Thanks for sharing us this lectures in order to incentive good lectures.
it is very good
Ramzi AMARI says:
So good, many thanks
Christine PENNEC says:
Paulo Penchiná says:
One suggestion: some test about real history.