Listen&Learn: 1984Jaksyn Peacock
- dystopian: a genre of fiction about corrupt societies
- totalitarianism: a government system where one person or group has all of the power
- criticize: to point out the problems with something
- regime: a government
- censorship: the restriction of information and opinions
- surveillance: close observation of people
See answers below
- The fictional state of Oceania is
- The main character’s job is to
a. rewrite records of history
b. punish people who protest the government
c. spy on suspicious people
- Winston must keep his journal hidden because
a. it contains important government secrets
b. his opinions would be considered “thoughtcrime”
c. it contains plans to overthrow the government
- What do you think the purpose of dystopian fiction is?
1984 is a dystopian novel by English writer George Orwell. It is set in a fictional totalitarian state that supposedly developed after World War II. This state, known as Oceania, heavily controls the thoughts, words, and actions of its citizens. The main character of the story is a man named Winston Smith, whose job is to rewrite records of history. However, Winston secretly keeps a journal where he writes down his real opinions about the government. This is considered “thoughtcrime”, and Winston must keep his journal hidden. Orwell published the book in 1949. It was originally meant to criticize the Nazi and Stalinist regimes. However, the novel is still relevant today as a warning against censorship and government surveillance.
Answers to comprehension questions
1b 2a 3b
Search for more Listen&Learn stories:
nagasamy udayar Janakiraman says:
Very good and easy to learn
Zouaoui from Algeria says:
I eagerly follow regularly your wonderful stories. Thanks for instructif work.
Thank you for the English lessons you send me: I have learned a lot from them.
The King Of Love From IRAN says:
It looks like the lesson is in advanced level.
Thank❤️YOU❤️for sharing it with us,
Đoàn Công Hưng says:
A good story for new learner
María Gladys Carreras says:
Very interesting activity.