Listen&Learn: The OdysseyJaksyn Peacock Posted by: Jaksyn Peacock
- epic poem: a long story told in verse
- mythical: not real; from legend
- journey: a long trip
- copy: a single version of a book
- interpretation: an understanding of a work’s meaning
1. The Odyssey was written by the ancient Greek writer
The Odyssey was written by the ancient Greek writer Homer.
2. The Odyssey tells the story of
The Odyssey tells the story of Odysseus’s journey home from the Trojan War.
3. The first copy of the Odyssey was written in
The first copy of the Odyssey was written in ancient Greek.
- The Trojan War is a widely-known legend from Greek mythology. Do you know any other ancient Greek myths?
- Even today, there are many movies and books based on ancient myths. Why do you think people find ancient mythology so fascinating?
The Odyssey is an epic poem by the ancient Greek writer Homer. It is made up of 24 books about a mythical king named Odysseus; his wife, Penelope; and their son, Telemachus. The story describes Odysseus’s ten-year journey home from the Trojan War. It was written around 700 B.C., making it one of the oldest texts that is still commonly read today. The first copy of the Odyssey was handwritten in ancient Greek. The first English translation wasn’t published until 1615. Since then, the Odyssey has been translated many times, and every translator has given a different interpretation of the text. The story has also inspired many other works, including multiple books, movies, and plays.
Search for more Listen&Learn stories:
Hussein Jumaah Kheder says:
I loved that because it was read in a very slow way that made anyone understands it so clearly.
I like this book
Dr. Jonnagadla Rangaswamy says:
Marvelously told epic story in a pleasing manner which can be listened and understood by even a layman. Thank you very much.
Please provide more the Greek mythical story. they are interested.
Maybin Bwalya says:
Thank you so much for equipping me with the listening skill.I have had a challenge on this subject.Keep up with good work.
Christine PENNEC says:
These stories are good. I like them with more description if possible.
These stories are good and provide usehul teaching ideas.
The King Of Love From IRAN says:
Thank you for sharing it,
Thank you for all the things I could learn from you
Thanks for your exercises which help me a lot in improving English!
Thanks for the emails I have been receiving. I use some of them because they provide useful teaching ideas.