Listen&Learn: Romeo and JulietJaksyn Peacock
- playwright: a person who writes plays
- tragedy: a type of play that has a sad ending
- feud: a fight that lasts a long time
- masquerade ball: a type of party where people wear masks
- forbidden: not allowed
- forgive: to stop being upset with someone
1. The Montagues and Capulets are
The Montagues and Capulets are rival families.
2. Juliet's family wants her to marry
Juliet's family wants her to marry Paris.
3. Romeo poisons himself because
Romeo poisons himself because he believes Juliet is dead.
- Romeo and Juliet is a world-famous play that has been translated into many languages and performed many times. Have you ever seen the play? Did you enjoy it?
- Even before Shakespeare wrote Romeo and Juliet, the theme of forbidden love was very common in books and plays. It’s still very popular today. Why do you think people like this theme so much?
Romeo and Juliet is a romantic tragedy written by English playwright William Shakespeare. The main characters of the story are two teenagers named Romeo Montague and Juliet Capulet. Their families have an ancient feud. The two first meet at a masquerade ball, and they fall in love almost instantly. However, they later discover that they are members of rival families, and their relationship would be forbidden. They decide to get married in secret. But Juliet’s parents want her to marry someone else, a man named Paris who is a friend of the family. Towards the end of the story, Juliet fakes her death so that she doesn’t have to marry Paris. Romeo, believing that Juliet is dead, poisons himself so that he doesn’t have to live without her. When Juliet wakes up, she finds Romeo dead and kills herself as well. The story ends when the two families realize their feud has gone too far and decide to forgive each other.
Search for more Listen&Learn stories:
I love learning, and am so grateful that it’s never too late to learn. I want to thank everyone for their comments. And, to encourage those of you who were less than thrilled with your results, PLEASE DON’T GET DISCOURAGED !!! Hard work enables us to grow . . . to know . . . and to show. To grow in the awareness that we still need to grow. To know that we must always remain teachable. To show our appreciation for the patience that others have extended to us. Especially when we had no appreciation, or patience with them, at the time.
again, I thank you.
Thank you for story.
Lesley Jackson says:
These exercises are brilliant! Thank you so much.
Thanks for this wonderful story
I really like tragedy stories.
Romeo and Juliet. It’s one of famous story on passion love. Glad to listen it one more time.
Isaac Vázquez says:
Good listening and comprehension practice, thank you.
Raymundo Patiño Magallanes says:
This way to introduce to literary jobs is very useful to understand and to appreciate literature.
It is very useful for student make practice English. thanks.
Muhammad Harris Chohan says:
Great job Jaksyn,
Is it possible for us to upload here same story in our voice after listening. After that each student of English Club will listen each other.
Kajari Guha says:
I am always listening to English club. Thank you so much for what you prepare for us!
The King Of Love From IRAN says:
Thank You for sharing with us,
Christine PENNEC says: