LISTEN & LEARN in Easy English
Summary: Little Women
- publish: to release and sell a book to the public
- volume: a book that is part of a series
- accomplish: to achieve; to complete
- expectations: beliefs about what certain people should and should not do
- oppose: to be against a certain idea
- independent: not controlled or told what to do, free to make one’s own decisions
- adaptation: a film or book that is based on another original work
1. The first volume of Little Women was published in
The first volume of Little Women was published in 1868.
2. Out of the four sisters, Jo is the
Out of the four sisters, Jo is the second-oldest.
3. Jo spends most of the story opposed to the idea of
Jo spends most of the story opposed to the idea of love.
- Books like Little Women are considered “classics” because they were published a long time ago, but the themes are still interesting and relevant today. Have you read any books that are considered “classics”? What did you think of them?
Little Women is a classic novel by author Louisa May Alcott. It was originally published in two volumes – the first in 1868, and the second in 1869. The story follows the lives of four sisters growing up in a poor house during the time of the American Civil War. The main character is Jo, the second-oldest sister. She wants to become a writer, which is difficult for her to accomplish because of the expectations for women at the time. She spends most of the story opposed to the idea of love, as she wants to be independent and put her own career first. The character of Jo is based on Louisa May Alcott herself. This book is still loved by many today, and a recent movie adaptation won several awards for the script, acting, costumes, and music.
Thanks for this opportunity, It’s excellent!
Mikael Silva says:
Thanks a lot
Phương Thảo says:
manythanks to english club !!
Jessie Nguyen says:
Tho Than says:
Mình không hiểu ý này, ai giải thích giúp mình với ạ: She spends most of the story opposed to the idea of love, Mình cảm ơn nhiều!
that’s great !
Nam Nguyen says:
It’s really helpful
Btw, so many Vietnamese people are there :))
goode Jean pierre
J’m from Britanny too
A wink from hom
Thủy Tiên says:
is so excited
Trần nguyên trâm anh says:
Nguyen Thi Nguyet Anh says:
Thank you so much Jaksyn,
Age 66 from France Brittany.
There should not be any discrimination (sex or genre, skin look, generation gap…) We are all Human and equal…
Though male sex crimes should be immediately taken into account. Most wise men & fathers will agree with me.
Tomorrow is International Women’s Day.
So, Happy Day to Women and Men! No war between us or the younger generation. We are on the same planet!
Excellent subject for my Fellow French citizens in English!
thanks to English Club