Listen&Learn: The GiverJaksyn Peacock
- dystopia: an oppressive society where people are treated badly
- utopia: a perfect world
- maintain: to keep something in its current state
- restrict: to stop people from doing or accessing something
- memory: something that is remembered from the past
- ban: to stop allowing something
1. Jonas lives in a
Jonas lives in a dystopian community.
2. When Jonas is 12 years old,
When Jonas is 12 years old, he learns the truth about the community.
3. The book is often taught to
The book is often taught to older children and teenagers.
- Why do you think The Giver is commonly banned?
- Do you think there is ever a good reason to ban a book? Why or why not?
The Giver is a dystopian novel written by American author Lois Lowry. It was published in 1993. The story follows a boy named Jonas who is growing up in a futuristic community. The community is supposed to be a utopia, without war, hunger, or pain. However, it maintains peace by restricting choice and knowledge, and killing anyone who doesn’t fit in. When Jonas is 12 years old, he learns the truth about the community from a man called the Giver, who holds all the memories of the past. The Giver is often taught in schools to older children and teenagers. However, it is also one of the most commonly banned books in the United States.
Search for more Listen&Learn stories:
Thank you all
Jaksyn Peacock says:
The recording should be available now. Thank you all for letting me know!
The King Of Love From IRAN says:
Thank you for sharing it with us,
In fact there are still some societies have the same behaviour!
I can not locate the audio recording!!!
thanks a lot my teacher
the story of Jonas is very important of readers who wants to get knowledge and what behavior of that community who support the younger people.
Cannot locate the audio recording.
I never could agree with banning a book , if someone is agree with a part or whole of material of a book , writing review could be a useful way .