Listen&Learn: The Hobbit
- fantasy: a fiction genre that involves magic
- protagonist: the main character of a story
- recruit: to convince someone to help with an important task
- quest: a journey to accomplish a specific goal
- defeat: to beat someone in a battle
- trilogy: a series made up of three books
1. Bilbo Baggins is a
Bilbo Baggins is a hobbit.
2. The treasure Bilbo and Gandalf are looking for originally belonged to
The treasure Bilbo and Gandalf are looking for originally belonged to the dwarves.
3. J. R. R. Tolkien wrote the Lord of the Rings series because
J. R. R. Tolkien wrote the Lord of the Rings series because The Hobbit was extremely successful.
- Many of the imaginary elements that Tolkien used in his books, such as wizards, dwarves, elves, and dragons, are common across the fantasy genre. Some fantasy books with similar elements (like the Harry Potter series) have been just as successful as Tolkien’s stories. Why do you think books with these themes are so popular?
The Hobbit is a classic fantasy children’s novel written by English author J.R.R. Tolkien. The novel was published in 1937, and over 100 million copies have been sold since then. The protagonist of the book is named Bilbo Baggins. Bilbo is a hobbit – a small, human-like creature that lives underground. One day, a wizard called Gandalf recruits Bilbo to go on a quest to find some valuable treasure. This treasure once belonged to a group of dwarves, who are determined to get it back. Together, Bilbo and Gandalf set out to help the dwarves find their treasure – but first they have to defeat Smaug, the powerful dragon who guards it. Tolkien originally wrote this story for his own children, but it quickly became a huge success. This inspired Tolkien to write a sequel trilogy: the famous Lord of the Rings series, which takes place 60 years after the events of The Hobbit.
It very great for me I can study a lot in english club
This website is really great, helps me enjoy learning, improves my English a lot, is suitable for ielts practice
thank you so much for this lesson i think it is easy to understand and to improve our listening, reading and writing!
Luis Jiménez says:
For me is quite difficult to find out good lectures for practising, and comprehend every word, sentence and paragraphs as well as a native speaker but with this kind of material give me an opportunity to learn and improve my English skills.
Thank you so much English Club. You help me improve my English lots.
Siomara de Cássia Miranda says:
I really, really, appreciate the lessons taught by English Club! I’m a real fan of this site! Cheers!!! Thank you for the great teaching!
claudia Marty says:
This is a good and romantic way to improve everybody’s English. Thank you for your kind and interesting teaching.
Tom xiao says:
I like this lesson so much
Enriqueta Alicia Martínez. says:
Within the four abilities, Listening is the one that is the most difficult for me. The stories are quite attractive and the exercises very useful. Thanks a lot.
Sandra Bello says:
The read was very interesting and all exercise, for me is very important a lot of practice because I need improve my English.