LISTEN & LEARN in Easy English
All About Mardi Gras
- festive: cheerful, exciting, celebratory
- celebrate: to participate in fun activities because of a special event
- parade: a public show of marching bands and floats moving through a street
- tradition: a practice that a certain culture participates in for a specific event
1. The English translation of "Mardi Gras" is
The English translation of "Mardi Gras" is "Fat Tuesday".
2. Mardi Gras is now celebrated by
Mardi Gras is now celebrated by people of all cultures.
3. In places like New Orleans, Mardi Gras celebrations can last for
In places like New Orleans, Mardi Gras celebrations can last for two weeks.
- Do you celebrate Mardi Gras? If so, what kinds of traditions do you have? If not, what other holidays do you celebrate, and what kinds of traditions do you have for those holidays?
Mardi Gras is a festive holiday celebrated all around the world. Mardi Gras parades often include colourful floats, feathered
masks, and lots of food. The name “Mardi Gras” is French, translating into “Fat Tuesday” in English. The celebration originated as a religious holiday, marking the day before the Christian tradition of Lent. Christians would often make pancakes on this day to use up all of the milk, butter, and eggs in their houses. This became known as Pancake Day, and later as Mardi Gras when people began to celebrate it in France. Today, Mardi Gras is celebrated by people of all cultures. In some places— such as New Orleans, Louisiana— the parties and parades can last for two weeks.
Elie touma says:
Mardi Gras is a wonderful holiday celebrated all around the world. Thanks for good stories
ALBERTO URIBE URIBE says:
I had never heard about this holiday. Is nice to know about traditions around the world. Culture is what make us a little difernt. thanks for the information.
This quiz was interesting ,learn about other traditional holiday is very important.Thanks very much
Ariana Vieira says:
Hi, thanks for this article, all of them used to be very interesting, my students like it and so do I. Best regards, Ariana from Brazil
thank you for this quiz . i try to improove my english.then i hope you can help me with more exercise