Listen&Learn: Human LibrariesJaksyn Peacock
- organization: a group of people who have a goal
- diverse: including people of many different backgrounds and identities
- volunteer: someone who offers to do something for free
- borrow: to take something and return it later
- stereotype: a generalized belief about a group of people
- empathize: to understand someone’s feelings and experiences
1. The first Human Library event was held in
The first Human Library event was held in Denmark.
2. At the Human Library, visitors could borrow
At the Human Library, visitors could borrow people with unique experiences to share.
3. The Human Library's goal was
The Human Library's goal was to challenge stereotypes.
- Would you ever visit a Human Library? What do you think you could learn?
In 2000, an organization in Denmark started a project called “The Human Library”. This library was not meant for borrowing books. Instead, visitors could “borrow” a person and listen to their story. The event had a diverse group of volunteers with unique experiences to share. The Human Library’s goal was to challenge stereotypes. By meeting one-on-one, the visitors and volunteers got a chance to empathize with each other. The first event was very successful, and the Human Library began to travel around the world. Over 80 countries have now held Human Library events. Some countries have even built permanent Human Libraries that people can visit at any time.
Search for more Listen&Learn stories:
The knowledge is really useful.
GLON jOSEPH says:
I always like your reports
and mainly the comments written by the readers/listeners
It’s very very intersesting and profitable
congratulations thank you
gholamreza tajik says:
Thanks, it was so useful.
Thank you very much and wish all the best for sharing to us.
It was so useful.
Ioana Lyminita says:
I am grateful for such an intelligent opportunity to improve my English and get interesting information.
Thank you all and wish you much health and joy.
David Osorio says:
Excellent article about the need for meeting different kind of people around the world in order to share amazing experiences.
The King Of Love From IRAN says:
Thank you so much for sharing it with us,
Diny Van Lier says:
it is very nice to listen the stories,thanks
Very attractive subjects. I like it, thanks.