Listen&Learn: The Town With One ResidentJaksyn Peacock
- population: the amount of people living in an area
- ghost town: a town that has been completely abandoned
- mayor: the leader of a town or city
- taxes: money paid to a government
- eligible: qualified to do or receive something
- tavern: a public building where people can buy and drink alcohol
1. Officially, Monowi is
Officially, Monowi is a small town.
2. Eiler makes city plans because
Eiler makes city plans because she wants Monowi to be eligible for state money.
3. Eiler is happy living in Monowi because
Eiler is happy living in Monowi because she gets to see visitors often.
- Have you ever been to a ghost town? If so, what were some interesting things you got to see?
- The population of Monowi began to shrink in the 1950s. This was because its residents were struggling with money after World War II, and they needed to find work somewhere else. What are some other reasons why people might abandon a town?
Monowi, Nebraska is a small town that once had a population of about 150. Today, it is almost a ghost town. There is only one person who lives there: a woman in her eighties named Elsie Eiler. She is the town’s mayor, bartender, and librarian. For Monowi to be recognized as an official town, Eiler has to create city plans and pay taxes to herself. As long as she completes these tasks as mayor, the town is eligible to get money from the state for roads and electricity. When Eiler is not working as Monowi’s mayor, she runs a small tavern where people from other towns visit during the day. She also owns a large book collection that all visitors are allowed to borrow from. Living in a town all alone may seem sad to some people, but Eiler says that she is not lonely. She believes Monowi to be her home, and she gets to see visitors often.
Search for more Listen&Learn stories:
I believe this woman will make this town better.
it is cool to read and write a story about it
We have come to this world to serve, in these terms the history shows a woman that belief in her small town and enjoy living in that lonely place but she lives by getting money from visitors who has come there for goods, tourism and relaxing for several years. My question is. Will she live there forever? What happen if she would die?
It is an amazing story!
There are a lot of small villages in Russia with just a few people in them.
This story is good.
Jack Liu says:
How long can the old lady survive? Would Monowi disappear from the map if the town had no resident?
I know a ghost town in Colombia: It named Jordan. When I was there it was amazing: I saw only an old man with a cane. Jordán has a few population but it has a wonderful landscapes and is near to National park Chicamocha.
It’s a very interesting story. Thank you for sharing!
It’s a very nice storie. Thank!
Thank you! It is interesting!
K. Yashwant says:
I liked to know a little about Monowi Town. I could’t imagine that would be possible, there is a Town like it.
That was great story, Thank you for sharing.
An engaging story! Thanks a million for it!
Monowi is now on my “bucket list”!
Monowi is now on my to do list! Hope te see you soon
You are awesome!
The King Of Love From IRAN says:
Thank you for sharing,
Some short stories with so much vocabulary.That’s a very interesting once again!
Christine PENNEC says:
it’s very interesting. Thank you
what a interesting story thanks so much