LISTEN & LEARN in Easy English
- physicist: a type of scientist who studies physics
- admit: to allow someone to enter a place
- mineral: a solid natural substance
- property: an attribute or quality that something has
- radioactivity: the emission of radiation from certain elements
- exposure: the state of coming into contact with something, especially something dangerous
1. Marie Curie was born in
Marie Curie was born in Warsaw, Poland.
2. Curie moved to Paris for her degree because
Curie moved to Paris for her degree because the University of Warsaw only admitted male students.
3. Curie was the first person to
Curie was the first person to win two Nobel Prizes.
- While Marie Curie’s research did help scientists develop cancer treatments, her research was also important for the invention of the atomic bomb during World War II. The atomic bomb is still a controversial subject because of the amount of deaths it caused. Do you think Curie’s discoveries had a positive impact on the world, or a negative one?
Marie Curie was a Polish-born French physicist, known for her research of radioactive chemicals. She was born in Warsaw, Poland in 1867, the youngest of five children in her family. Growing up, Curie was smart and curious, and dreamed of getting a university degree. However, the University of Warsaw only admitted male students at the time. In order to get her degree, Curie moved to Paris. She studied physics at Sorbonne University, and later received another degree in math. After her education, Curie went on to become a scientist. While working with a mineral known as pitchblende, Curie discovered a new chemical property, which we now know as radioactivity. She also discovered two new elements, which she called polonium and radium. Because of these scientific discoveries, Curie became the first person to ever win two Nobel Prizes. Curie died in 1934 from an illness caused by her exposure to radiation. However, her research has helped modern scientists develop treatments for cancer, and she is still seen as one of the greatest scientists of all time.
each innoviation in word has two main way one way is good use for humen and oter way is badly for humen i think this innoviation was good for usefull way
I think her discoveries had a negative on the world beacause everything she found want to help people
Tu Tran says:
I think Marie Curie is scientist very well. Because she found elements, two of them elements, they are polorium and radium, and she is the first women recognized with two Nobel Frizes. She has fairly large comtribution for science and medicine. Because the elements that she found, they were could treatments for cancer. So she was a person positive impact on the world. And negative on the world, that is peoples the impose on elements polorium and radium invention atomic bomb during World War II.
Sang Phan says:
Helping scientists to develop cancer treatments or to invent an atomic bomb killing a massive number of people, all of this, in my opinon completely belongs to the will of human.
Hope that Curie’s research is only used for developing the peace and happiness of our world.
I took physics at institute. It was my dream that I wanted to be like Marie and Curie. I didn’t study well so it goes so far to become a discoverer. lol
It’s an irony that she died by radiation exposure. Thanks for her contribution.