- dramatist: a person who writes plays
- credit: to recognize someone as the creator of something
- iconic: famous; widely known
- comedy: a type of play that makes use of humour, and has a happy ending
- tragedy: a type of play that has a sad ending – often the death of the main character
- relevant: important to the time or situation
1. William Shakespeare was born in
William Shakespeare was born in Stratford.
2. Shakespeare began writing plays while working as
Shakespeare began writing plays while working as an actor.
3. Shakespeare wrote at least
Shakespeare wrote at least 38 plays.
- Do you know of any modern books, movies, or plays that are based on Shakespeare’s plays?
- Why do you think that so much modern entertainment is inspired by these plays?
William Shakespeare was an English dramatist and poet, currently considered to be one of the greatest writers of all time. He was born in 1564 in Stratford, where he would spend the rest of his childhood. At age 18, he married a woman named Anne Hathaway, and the couple had three children together. After the birth of his youngest two children, Shakespeare travelled to London and helped to found an acting company known as the Lord Chamberlain’s Men. While working as an actor, Shakespeare began to write scripts. One of the first plays to be officially credited to Shakespeare was the iconic Romeo and Juliet, a story of two young lovers who come from rival families. During his life, Shakespeare wrote at least 38 plays: 14 comedies, 12 tragedies, and 12 histories. Shakespeare died in 1616 – over 400 years ago – but his plays are still relevant today because of their influence on modern stories. In fact, many of today’s books, movies, and plays are based on concepts from Shakespeare’s work.
Thank you ,but quick reads
Mariangela Bicudo says:
I learn a lot of things with englishclub. I love the listens.
I have read a play from shakespeare, Hamlet, and this play is very interesting.
Amazing. I love this topic.
I really like EnglishClub website. This website help me improve my English so much. Thanks a lot.
I like so much your website. Because I learn more about English like podcast and videos.
thanks you very mach
Trinh Nguyễn Thị NTr says:
Tuong, Viet Nam says:
EnglishClub is a perfect website. I love to learn English with it.