Listen&Learn: The Berlin WallJaksyn Peacock Posted by: Jaksyn Peacock
- Allied Powers: the countries that fought against Nazi Germany in World War II
- region: an area inside a country
- defect: to leave a country for political reasons
- border: the division between two regions
- diplomat: a person who represents their country in negotiations
- checkpoint: a place where people are verified by security
- signify: to show that something is happening
See answers below
- The wall was built by the government of
b. East Germany
c. West Germany
- The purpose of the wall was to
a. stop people from immigrating to the country
b. protect the country from military advances
c. stop people from defecting
- The wall came down in
- The Berlin Wall was one structure that represented a major political divide across Europe. Why do you think it is so easy to divide people?
The Berlin Wall was a barrier that separated West Berlin from the rest of East Germany during the Cold War. After World War II, the Allied Powers divided Germany into four regions. The Soviet Union controlled the eastern region, and the United States, Britain, and France controlled the western regions. The communist government of East Germany built the Berlin Wall in 1961 to stop people from defecting. The only people who could cross the border were diplomats, and they had to go through special checkpoints. In 1989, East Germany finally declared that people would be able to cross the border freely. Over 2 million people arrived at the border. Some brought tools to tear the wall down. The fall of the wall came to signify the beginning of the end of the Cold War.
Answers to comprehension questions
1b 2c 3c
Search for more Listen&Learn stories:
I don’t know about the Berlin Wall until I read your’s passage. It’s very useful for me. Thank you very much
Thank you so much. So informative passage
Excellent! I am very proud of it.
thankyou for this exercise ,its very useful
Thank you so much, It was very useful for me that I understood who built this wall, and when to tear the wall down.
I particularly appreciate these comprehension exercises, thank you; and it’so interesting to remember these great moments of the wall fall just after my visit in West Germany !
v useful articale,Thank u so much
Mosoumeh Ezari says:
Thank you very much for your articles. They are very useful for me to continue my education in learning English language.