Listen&Learn: The Causes of World War IIJaksyn Peacock
- conflict: a fight between people or groups
- dictator: a ruler with unlimited political power
- invasion: a forced entry into a country with the goal of gaining power over it
- regime: the government of a country
- concentration camp: a place where Jews were imprisoned and killed during World War II
1. The war began when Germany invaded
The war began when Germany invaded Poland.
2. The countries that formed the Axis Powers were
The countries that formed the Axis Powers were Germany, Italy and Japan.
3. The war ended because
The war ended because the Allies had overpowered the German army.
- World War I ended in 1918, only 21 years before World War II began. Why do you think conflict was so common in Europe at the time?
- Do you think another world war could happen in the future? Why or why not?
- One of the most tragic events of World War II was the Holocaust, or the genocide of European Jews. Why is it so important to remember and learn from this tragedy?
World War II was a global conflict that began in 1939. The war began when German dictator Adolf Hitler ordered an invasion of Poland. Hitler’s goal was to take over Europe entirely. He also believed that the German race was superior, and began to order the deaths of anyone who he didn’t think was “pure”. The main victims of Hitler’s regime were Jews. Immediately after the invasion of Poland, Britain and France declared war on Germany. Later, the United States and the Soviet Union declared war as well. They became known as the Allied Powers. Germany’s allies were Italy and Japan, and they became known as the Axis Powers. For six years, Allied soldiers tried to regain land and liberate concentration camps. The war’s end came in 1945, after Allied forces overpowered the German army and Hitler died by suicide. Over 60 million people died in World War II, making it the worst conflict in history.
Search for more Listen&Learn stories:
Mister Bangladesh says:
I don’t think so like that because we are being civilised day by day.
World war 2 it was the worst conflict in history. I do think another world war could happen in the future because of conflict between Iran and Israel.
The German invasion of Poland marked the beginning of World War II. The conflict caused by some factors:
-The Versailles Treaty
-The great depression of the 1930s
-The difference in religion between the Jews and Germany caused racism and hostilities.
Try to fight disease, poverty, abuse.
Mohammad Jammal says:
David MS says:
1. WW1 and WW2 were caused by Germany, because they had awful rulers. Luckily the rest of the world reacted against them.
2. Another World War could happen because there are still crazy rulers, for example Kim Jong Un, Iran leaders, etc.
3. We have to remember the history so that we don’t repeat the same mistakes.
Jacinto Bento says:
The text is very well constructed, the pronunciation and the questions are easy to understand.
It is good we know the history so as not to forget the combatants.