Listen&Learn: The Egyptian PyramidsJaksyn Peacock
- attraction: something that makes people want to visit a location
- tomb: a structure where a dead person is buried
- customary: normal, traditional
- mummify: to preserve a dead body by wrapping it up
- possessions: things that a person owns
- rob: to steal something from a place
1. The pyramids were originally built as
The pyramids were originally built as tombs for ancient Egyptian kings.
2. Most of the pyramids are empty because
Most of the pyramids are empty because they were robbed.
3. Historians believe that
Historians believe that 20,000 workers were needed to build the Great Pyramids of Giza.
- Why do you think it was so important to ancient Egyptians to honour their dead rulers? How is this different from the ways people acknowledge death today?
The Egyptian pyramids are some of the most fascinating structures in the world. Although they are popular tourist attractions today, the pyramids were originally built as tombs for ancient Egyptian kings. At the time, it was customary to mummify dead rulers and bury them with their possessions. However, many pyramids have been robbed throughout history, and most are empty today. The first known pyramid was built around 2600 B.C, for a king named Djoser. The largest and most famous Egyptian pyramids – the Great Pyramids of Giza – were built between 2500 and 2400 B.C, and there is still a lot of mystery surrounding their construction. It would have been very difficult to build such massive structures without modern technology. Historians believe that at least 20,000 workers were needed to complete the Great Pyramids.
Search for more Listen&Learn stories:
Gehad Hoor says:
As a teacher of English, I do believe that mastering the listening skill is crucial for acquiring any language, whether mother or foreign. It is incredible to speak unless you have ample time of listening. The more you listen, the better speaker you become. It is as important as reading. In other words, the more you read, the better speaker and writer you become.
Schools should pay much attention to these two critical and effective skills for learning a language. Most Arab schools ignore these two skills and concentrate on grammar and the result, after 0 years of learning English, 90% of the students are still in ZERO level.
Pushpa Pathirana says:
this is interesting topic and easy to understand the learning way of vedio.Thanks