Listen&Learn: PompeiiPosted by: Jaksyn Peacock
- eruption: an explosion of lava
- abandon: to leave something behind
- preserve: to keep something in good condition over time
- artifact: a historical manmade object
- archaeologist: someone who studies historical structures and artifacts
- debris: pieces of destroyed items
1. The tragedy in Pompeii was documented by
The tragedy in Pompeii was documented by a 17-year-old writer who escaped the eruption.
2. Many of the buildings, skeletons, and artifacts in Pompeii were
Many of the buildings, skeletons, and artifacts in Pompeii were preserved by the ashes.
3. Archaeologists have uncovered
Archaeologists have uncovered about two thirds of the city.
- Have you ever been to a famous historical site? What did you see?
- People around the world are fascinated by the ancient city. Why do you think humans are so interested in the past?
Pompeii was an ancient city in Italy. In 79 A.D., it was buried under ash after the eruption of a volcano called Mount Vesuvius. The eruption was documented by a writer known as Pliny the Younger, who escaped from the city when he was 17 years old. For nearly 2000 years after the eruption, the city was completely abandoned. However, in 1748, a group of explorers discovered that the ash had preserved many of Pompeii’s buildings, skeletons, and artifacts. This helped archaeologists learn more about what life was like in ancient Rome. But to this day, archaeologists have only uncovered about two thirds of Pompeii’s ruins. The rest of the city is still buried under ash and debris.
Search for more Listen&Learn stories:
Hello this is a good article bye. 😀
not shrek in disguise says:
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa my swamp sussy donkey boi shrek aaaa moma your mom mmamaa msaknfdjkajlkçecnhfhbdepo
u ar sussy u have not included communism and also watch free poopy kaka
Sussiest sussy baka says:
this article is so sussy. the writer is sooooo sussy. JOE MAMA
It is very interesting, I went there five years ago. Thank you
Very interesting story and the speaker tell clearly
Thanks a lot for sharing!!! Cert interesting!! 🙂
Claudia Ortiz says:
I like to know about history
The King Of Love From IRAN says:
Thank you for sharing it with us,
I´m reading the book “Pompeii”. It´s was awesome!!!Thank you!
I learned at least five new words. Thanks a lot.
Christine PENNEC says:
very interesting story.
Dumitrescu mihaela says:
It is very interesting. Thank you