Listen&Learn: History of the United NationsJaksyn Peacock
- global: relating to the entire world
- promote: to encourage something
- conflict: a disagreement or fight
- pledge: to officially declare that you will do something
- unite: to come together for a common cause
- Axis powers: the countries that sided with Nazi Germany during World War II
- establish: to create something new, especially an organization or company
See answers below
- The UN’s main purpose is to
a. prevent climate change
b. deal with public health emergencies
c. promote peace and good relations between countries
- The League of Nations failed to prevent
a. World War I
b. World War II
c. the Cold War
- When the UN was officially established,
a. 26 countries were members
b. 51 countries were members
c. 193 countries were members
- Although the United Nations has been successful in many ways, it has also received a lot of criticism. What opinions have you heard about the United Nations? What do you agree with? What do you disagree with?
The United Nations, or UN, is a global organization that is meant to promote peace and good relations between countries. Before the UN, many countries were members of an organization called the League of Nations, which was created after the end of World War I for the purpose of preventing future global conflicts. However, World War II began less than 20 years after the creation of the League of Nations. The term “United Nations” was first used to refer to 26 countries that pledged to unite against the Axis powers in 1942. The UN was officially established on October 24, 1945, after the war had ended. By then, 51 countries were members. Today, 193 countries are members of the United Nations.
Answers to comprehension questions
1c 2b 3b
Search for more Listen&Learn stories:
Complicated facts of history are explained in a simple, short and engaging manner. Bravo and thank you!
Oh, its what the podcast explain !
What’s UN ?
The King Of Love From IRAN says:
Thank❤️YOU❤️For sharing it with us.
I wish The UN tried for creating Love among the people of world regardless of nationality, religion, race and so on.