Listen&Learn: EutrophicationPosted by: Jaksyn Peacock
- nutrient: something that plants and animals need for energy and growth
- fertilizer: a substance that humans use to help crops and other plants grow
- algae: plants that grow on the surface of water
- deplete: to reduce the amount of something by using it all up
- suffocate: to die from a lack of air
- aquatic: relating to water
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 1:08 — 1.0MB)
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | RSS | More
1. Eutrophication happens when a body of water fills up with
Eutrophication happens when a body of water fills up with plant nutrients.
2. Fertilizers in lakes cause excess growth of
Fertilizers in lakes cause excess growth of algae.
3. An aquatic dead zone is
An aquatic dead zone is a place where little to no aquatic life can survive.
- Fertilizers are very useful for humans. They help us grow enough crops to feed large populations. Do you think that we can prevent eutrophication while continuing to use fertilizers? Why or why not?
Eutrophication is a process where a body of water fills up with plant nutrients like nitrogen and phosphorus. This usually happens when rain washes crop fertilizers into a lake. The fertilizers, which use nitrogen to help plants grow, cause excess amounts of algae to grow on the surface of the water. This is called an algal bloom. When the algae die, bacteria use large amounts of oxygen to decompose the plant matter. This process is harmful because it depletes the lake’s oxygen, causing fish at the bottom to suffocate. Eventually, the lack of oxygen can create an aquatic dead zone: a place where little to no aquatic life can survive.
Search for more Listen&Learn stories:
Subscribe to EnglishClub Podcasts
I heard and read about Eutrophication
Aissatou Sow says:
Mariama kalokoh says:
I learn more about Eutrophication
Yaritza Alvarez says:
thanks for the help.
JHojaniluz Carrasquero says:
thanks for you help
Thanks so much for your helpful text , it helps us to increase our scientific information along with learning English.
Listening is the most difficult skill for me, if I have a low-intermediate level or so in the other ones, I am a beginner in it.
Listening is the most difficult skill for me, if I have a low-intermediate level or so in the other ones, I am a beginner in listen and understand.
I want to more practice.i heard several times to this audio.but I could not fill last two blanks.
Jorge Hernandez says:
Always there is something new to learn.
Great,I learned a lot.
Christine PENNEC says:
GREAT ! INTERESTING!