Listen&Learn: MagnetoreceptionPosted by: Jaksyn Peacock
- migrate: to move from one place to another, especially in certain seasons
- compass: a device that points north
- detect: to sense or notice something
- theory: an educated belief about how something works
- protein: a complex molecule found in living things
- study: a research project
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 1:20 — 1.2MB)
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | RSS | More
See answers below
- Magnetoreception is like a natural
- The magnetic metal in a bird’s beak is called
- Some birds have eye proteins that respond to the magnetic field. These are only active
a. during certain seasons
b. in certain levels of light
c. in certain temperatures
- Do you have a good sense of direction? How well can you navigate without technology?
Many migrating birds have a natural compass. They use a sense called magnetoreception, which is the ability to detect the lines of Earth’s magnetic field. This sense helps them understand which way north is. There are two common theories about how it works. Researchers have found a metal called magnetite in the beaks of some birds, which might allow them to sense the magnetic field. However, recent studies have also looked at special proteins in birds’ eyes, which seem to respond to magnetic field lines. These studies show that the proteins are only active in certain levels of light. For this reason, many scientists now believe that migrating birds can actually see Earth’s magnetic field.
Answers to comprehension questions
1b 2a 3b
Search for more Listen&Learn stories:
Subscribe to EnglishClub Podcasts
It was very interesting for me, thanks for all content.
Muchas gracias por tu websites. Que tengas un buenas dias. Great job. Thanks you so much.
Fatma Abdul Jaber says:
Thanks for this good task.I enjoyed listening to this information.
Shireen Batool says:
Thank you so for this I can speak and practice English really such a great tips
Daniel Brizuela says:
I’m very interested in this English Club.
Could you be kind enough to send me information about ?
gabriel murillo says:
Iam very intersting in read new ones news.