Listen&Learn: The Fermi ParadoxJaksyn Peacock
- paradox: a problem that appears to make no sense
- develop: to grow and progress
- civilization: a society of intelligent beings
- interstellar: between different star systems
- propose: to offer an idea
- hypothetical: possible, but not proven
See answers below
- The universe is about
a. 4.5 billion years old
b. 13 billion years old
c. 50 billion years old
- Fermi thought that if older civilizations existed,
a. they should have contacted us already
b. they wouldn’t be friendly to us
c. they would have destroyed each other
- The Great Filter is
a. a hypothetical barrier that stops life from developing
b. a hypothetical type of technology for interstellar travel
c. a hypothetical civilization that has the power to contact other civilizations
- Do you believe in life on other planets? If so, why do you think they haven’t contacted us? If not, what makes you think we’re alone?
- Scientists who believe in the Great Filter are not sure if we are past it. What could stop life on Earth from developing further?
The Fermi paradox is based on a question asked by a scientist named Enrico Fermi: if the universe is so large, why haven’t we found intelligent life yet? Although it is a very simple question, it has confused scientists for decades. The universe has existed for over 13 billion years, but our planet is only about 4.5 billion years old. Fermi believed that if human life could develop so quickly, there surely had to be older, more advanced civilizations out there. These civilizations likely would be capable of interstellar travel. If this is true, then aliens should have contacted us already. Many people have proposed explanations since Fermi first asked the question in 1950. One possibility is something called a Great Filter, which is a hypothetical barrier that stops most types of life from developing past a certain point.
Answers to comprehension questions
1b 2a 3a
Search for more Listen&Learn stories:
nagasamy udayar Janakiraman says:
Very Good Great Thanks to team.
Zouaoui from Algeria says:
I will believe in their existence just when they contact us or when we contact them. Till now it’s just fiction. Thanks for your interesting work.
It is so exiting , I have really enjoyed it .
The King Of Love From IRAN says:
Thank❤️YOU❤️for sharing it with us,
Very good, thanks!
I just want to say thanks for your excellent work.
God bless all of you!