Listen&Learn: RedshiftJaksyn Peacock Posted by: Jaksyn Peacock
- observer: a person who is watching something
- wavelength: the distance between the peaks of a light or sound wave
- visible spectrum: all of the light waves that humans can see
- pitch: how high or low a sound is
- expand: to grow larger
- solar system: the planets that orbit the Sun
1. The colour of an object becomes redder as it moves
The colour of an object becomes redder as it moves away from the observer.
2. Humans don't often see this effect because
Humans don't often see this effect because most objects don't travel fast enough to visibly change colour.
3. The redshift of galaxies caused Edwin Hubble to discover that
The redshift of galaxies caused Edwin Hubble to discover that the universe is expanding.
- Redshift is one example of how reality can depend on our interpretation. While an observer standing still might be able to see an object change colour, an observer moving at the same speed as the object would not. Can you think of some other situations where different people might interpret reality differently?
Redshift is an effect created by light waves. It causes the colour of an object to become redder as it moves away from an observer. This is because red light has the longest wavelength of all the colours on the visible spectrum. Redshift is not something that humans often see, because an object must be travelling very fast to visibly change colour. However, we can observe a similar effect with sound waves, when the pitch of a car horn changes as the car drives away. Redshift is important because it has helped astronomers make observations about the universe. In 1929, the redshift of galaxies caused astronomer Edwin Hubble to discover that the universe is expanding. Today, astronomers also use redshift to find the locations of planets outside of our solar system.
Search for more Listen&Learn stories:
Prajna Roy says:
Thank you sir
Ankita Ghosh says:
Thank you sir, for your sharing.
Mouli Mukherjee says:
Thank you for sharing..
Archana Yadav says:
Archana Yadav says:
Thank you sir its really helpfull
Kabita mondal says:
Chaita Dhara says:
ANISHA MANNA says:
Kavya T. S says:
Great article, thank you very much !
I am excited and your lessons help me better learn. Thank you
Thank you for your time and sharing
Thank you for sharing
The King Of Love From IRAN says:
Thank you for sharing it with us,
Ms Dao says:
Thank you for your lesson.