Listen&Learn: Stem CellsJaksyn Peacock
- cell: the smallest unit of life, which all living things are made up of
- specialized: specific; serving a certain purpose
- embryo: a developing being in a womb, egg, or plant seed
- tissue: a group of similar cells that have a specific function
- regenerate: to repair or restore something damaged or lost
- transplant: an organ that is taken from a donor and given to a patient who needs it
1. Embryonic stem cells can divide into
Embryonic stem cells can divide into any kind of cell.
2. Stem cells could be used to
Stem cells could be used to treat cancer.
3. Research has shown that adult stem cells can be
Research has shown that adult stem cells can be modified to behave like embryonic cells.
- Stem cell research is a bit of a controversial topic in some places. Why do you think there is so much debate about it?
A stem cell is a basic type of cell that can divide into more specialized cells during reproduction. There are two different types of human stem cells: embryonic stem cells, which are found in the tissue of embryos, and adult stem cells, which are found in fully developed humans. The main difference is that embryonic stem cells can become any kind of cell, but adult stem cells can only become cells for certain types of tissue. In recent years, doctors and researchers have become very interested in the medical uses of human stem cells. Stem cells could be used to treat illnesses such as cancer, and regenerate tissue in organs that would otherwise require a transplant. Research has even shown that it is possible to genetically modify adult stem cells to behave like embryonic stem cells, which would make it much easier to grow any kind of tissue.
Search for more Listen&Learn stories:
Mari Carmen fuentea says:
through cells regenerate our organs.
scientists will finally see the miracle of science.
This is a very controversial topic
in medicine, but it’s always interesting to read about it.
Great, i love this page very interesting
Agustín i says:
Ana Garcia says:
funny and usefull. I like it!!!
Hiếu Thảo says:
i love this page . it’s so useful for me.
Marianella Durán says:
Good for learning!
Cindy Chan says:
Good to learn about type of stem cells to find out the different. Great. Much appreciated.
Mehmet Alkan says:
If you don’t make your homework today,ıt can be an enemy for tomorrow to you.
Mehmet Alkan says:
Time is very expensive good and we should use ıt very carefully
The King Of Love From IRAN says:
Christine PENNEC says:
Great, very interesting.