dateline: 08 March 2011
NB! For WEEKLY audio stories check out LISTEN & LEARN 🔈
1 Million Books Given Away
- committee: a group of people working on a project or goal
- passionate: full of strong emotions
- assassin: a person who targets and kills people; often kills for payment
- circulate: to go around; to reach many
- declining: decreasing
- boost: something to help raise a person or thing to a higher level
- Where did this event take place?
- Who gave away the books?
- Who was opposed to this literary event?
Discussion Question: Some writers and publishers fear that bookstores and libraries are going to continue to close down just as music stores have. Do you think ebooks and audiobooks are going to kill bookstores?
show Answershide Answers
1 Million Books Given Away for World Book Night
World Book Night took place across the UK and Ireland on March 5th. A committee of book lovers selected 25 titles to be handed out at the largest book give-away of all time. 20,000 passionate readers who won the book give-away contest were each given 48 books of a single title to give away as they pleased. Volunteers handed out the remaining 40,000 books at various locations including prisons, hospitals, and homeless shelters. A few independent book sellers expressed concern about the event, though most authors supported the literary cause. Margaret Atwood, whose book The Blind Assassin was one of the 25 given away, said that circulating books in this way would create new readers. Atwood joined several authors to read to over 10,000 people in London’s Trafalgar Square as part of the literary event. Organizers hope World Book Night will catch on around the world, and give the declining book industry the boost it needs.
- This event took place in the UK and Ireland.
- 20,000 readers who won a contest gave away many of the books. Volunteers gave away the rest.
- Some independent booksellers were opposed to the book give-away.
First, this audio news report was so difficult to me because your speed of speaking is so fast and also the text is so long.
Second, I could understand the subject hardly without seeing the text.
Third, I could file in the blanks the words “contest” and “catch on”.
Fourth, the subject is so interesting to me and then I should read it carefully later again and again until I understand it well.
Thank you and best wishes,🌺
from the Persian Gulf❤️