dateline: 03 May 2011
NB! From January 2020 Listen to News will change to Listen & Learn.
US Government Claims To Have Killed Osama Bin Laden
- terrorist: a person who engages in unlawful, violent acts in order to spread fear (usually has a political, religious or ideological purpose)
- compound: a group of enclosed buildings, usually protected by security
- covert: secret; undercover
- in the works: in preparation; being prepared
- alleged: said by some to be true but not proven in court
- mastermind: the person who thinks of or organizes a major event, project or creation
- closure: a feeling of being able to move on after a difficult event such as the death of a loved one
- What did Americans often call Osama bin Laden?
- According to US officials, what happened to Bin Laden’s body and why?
- Why did the alleged death of Bin Laden provide closure for some Americans?
Discussion Question: “I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” –Martin Luther King, Jr. Do you agree with this quote? Do you think Barack Obama would agree with it? What about the leaders in your country?
show Answershide Answers
US Government Claims to have Killed Osama Bin Laden
According to US President Barack Obama, Osama bin Laden – referred to by Americans as “the world’s most wanted terrorist” – has been killed by US forces. The al-Qaeda leader was apparently hiding out in a compound in northeast Pakistan when US forces completed their covert operation. While the operation had been in the works since last August, the US military reportedly buried Bin Laden’s body at sea within hours of the firefight. Under Islamic tradition, Muslims must be buried within 24 hours of death, though a sea burial is rarely used. Obama addressed his country in a special late night announcement hours after learning that the mission to kill or capture Bin Laden had been completed. Even before the official announcement, crowds began to fill the streets of Washington and New York. The news about the alleged “911 mastermind” offers symbolic closure to many who lost loved ones on September 11th.
- Americans often called Osama bin Laden the world’s most wanted terrorist.
- Bin Laden’s body was reportedly buried at sea. According to Islamic tradition, a body should be buried within 24 hours of death.
- The alleged death of Bin Laden provided closure for Americans who blame him for the death of loved ones in the September 11 attacks.