1. Preview the vocabulary and read the gapfill text.
2. Play the news report and try to fill in the blanks.
3. Answer the comprehension questions by writing full sentences.
4. Use the discussion question to write an essay or discuss the story with other students.
5. Click "show Answers" to see the full text.
6. Pretend to be a news anchor by reading each story out loud.
dateline: 16 August 2011
High Profile Judge Murdered In Brazil
- high-profile: known well publicly
- corrupt: dishonest for personal gain
- behind bars: in jail
- gang: an organised group that completes violent and illegal acts together
- hard-line: strict; serious
- determined: very committed to a goal
- Where was this judge when she was murdered?
- Why does the report mention Brazil’s Justice Ministry?
- What was Patricia Acioli known for?
Discussion Question: When you think of dangerous jobs do you think of judges and lawyers? Now that you’ve heard this story, do you think high-profile judges should have body guards?
show Answershide Answers
High-Profile Judge Murdered in Brazil
A 47-year-old Brazilian judge who was responsible for putting dozens of gang members and corrupt policemen behind bars was murdered on August 12th. Patricia Acioli, a mother of three, had just arrived at her home across the bay from Rio de Janeiro when her car was shot at more than 16 times by masked men on a pair of motorbikes. Despite receiving several death threats over the years, the high-profile judge did not have police protection. An investigation by Brazil’s Justice Ministry suggests that close to 100 judges’ names are on a “most wanted” death list . With the World Cup and Olympic Games coming to Rio in 2014 and 2016, more efforts are being made to reduce drug gangs and violence. Acioli was known as a hard-line judge who was determined to clean up the police force in Brazil.
- The judge was in her car outside her home across the bay from Rio de Janeiro when she was murdered.
- The report mentioned Brazil’s Justice Ministry because the ministry obtained a “most wanted dead” list and there were close to 100 judges listed.
- Patricia Acioli was known for being a hard-line judge who wanted to clean up the police force in Brazil.
Written by Tara Benwell for EnglishClub
Tara Benwell is a Canadian freelance writer and editor who specializes in materials and articles for the ELT industry.