dateline: 16 August 2011
NB! From January 2020 Listen to News will change to Listen & Learn.
High Profile Judge Murdered In Brazil
- high-profile: known well publicly
- corrupt: dishonest for personal gain
- behind bars: in jail
- gang: an organised group that completes violent and illegal acts together
- hard-line: strict; serious
- determined: very committed to a goal
- Where was this judge when she was murdered?
- Why does the report mention Brazil’s Justice Ministry?
- What was Patricia Acioli known for?
Discussion Question: When you think of dangerous jobs do you think of judges and lawyers? Now that you’ve heard this story, do you think high-profile judges should have body guards?
show Answershide Answers
High-Profile Judge Murdered in Brazil
A 47-year-old Brazilian judge who was responsible for putting dozens of gang members and corrupt policemen behind bars was murdered on August 12th. Patricia Acioli, a mother of three, had just arrived at her home across the bay from Rio de Janeiro when her car was shot at more than 16 times by masked men on a pair of motorbikes. Despite receiving several death threats over the years, the high-profile judge did not have police protection. An investigation by Brazil’s Justice Ministry suggests that close to 100 judges’ names are on a “most wanted” death list . With the World Cup and Olympic Games coming to Rio in 2014 and 2016, more efforts are being made to reduce drug gangs and violence. Acioli was known as a hard-line judge who was determined to clean up the police force in Brazil.
- The judge was in her car outside her home across the bay from Rio de Janeiro when she was murdered.
- The report mentioned Brazil’s Justice Ministry because the ministry obtained a “most wanted dead” list and there were close to 100 judges listed.
- Patricia Acioli was known for being a hard-line judge who wanted to clean up the police force in Brazil.