photo Tara Benwell Listen to News with Tara Benwell - Instructions:
1. Preview the vocabulary and read the gapfill text.
2. Play the news report and try to fill in the blanks.
3. Answer the comprehension questions by writing full sentences.
4. Use the discussion question to write an essay or discuss the story with other students.
5. Click "show Answers" to see the full text.
6. Pretend to be a news anchor by reading each story out loud.

dateline: 01 November 2011

NB! For WEEKLY audio stories check out LISTEN & LEARN 🔈

Occupy Protests Become A Movement

Pre-Listening Vocabulary

  • district: a specific region or area
  • occupy: to fill up or take over a space
  • disproportionate: unequal or unfair amount in comparison to another amount
  • general strike: a temporary refusal to work by people in many industries
  • Arab Spring: 2011 uprisings in the Middle East and North Africa

Occupy Protests Taking Become A Movement

A protest called “Occupy Wall Street” (OWS) that took place in September in New York City’s financial district has inspired similar around the world. With over 900 cities in over 80 countries , OWS is now being called the “Occupy Movement”. Occupy protestors claim to represent “99 percent” of the population. They say they are no longer willing to accept that the other 1% have a disproportionate amount of the world’s power and wealth. Protestors are complaining of being , unemployed, homeless, or without health care. In some cities, have set up camps and are calling for general strikes. The original march was inspired by the Spring.

Comprehension Questions

  1. Where was the original “Occupy” demonstration held?
  2. Why does the report mention 1%?
  3. What are the protestors’ main issues?

Discussion Question: With winter arriving early in the US, critics say that the OWS movement will not have staying power. Protestors disagree. What do you think will happen?

show Answers

Written and recorded by Tara Benwell for EnglishClub
Tara Benwell is a Canadian freelance writer and editor who specializes in materials and articles for the ELT industry.
Search for more stories by topic. For example, search for keywords like: climate change, floods, trump, money, thailand, language...

Teacher's Notes

Subscribe to EnglishClub Podcasts RSS Feed

Leave a comment