- Preview the vocabulary and read the gapfill text.
- Play the news report and try to fill in the blanks.
- Answer the comprehension questions by writing full sentences.
- Use the discussion question to write an essay or discuss the story with other students.
- Click "show Answers" to see the full text.
- Pretend to be a news anchor by reading each story out loud.
World Cup Athletes Consider Fasting During Ramadan
dateline: 01 July 2014
- qualify: to earn the right to compete
- fast: to refrain from eating (and sometimes drinking) for a set amount of time
- confirm: to provide a statement about the facts
- postpone: to schedule something for a later date than originally planned
- hydrated: having enough fluids in the body
Written by Tara Benwell for EnglishClub
Tara Benwell is a Canadian freelance writer and editor who specializes in materials and articles for the ELT industry.