- Preview the vocabulary and read the gapfill text.
- Play the news report and try to fill in the blanks.
- Answer the comprehension questions by writing full sentences.
- Use the discussion question to write an essay or discuss the story with other students.
- Click "show Answers" to see the full text.
- Pretend to be a news anchor by reading each story out loud.
Malaysia Airlines Plane Shot Down
dateline: 22 July 2014
- surface-air missile: a weapon launched from the ground to bring down an aircraft or other missile
- separatist: a member of a group that wants to break away from its own country
- catastrophe: an extremely tragic event
Written by Tara Benwell for EnglishClub
Tara Benwell is a Canadian freelance writer and editor who specializes in materials and articles for the ELT industry.