dateline: 12 June 2012
NB! For WEEKLY audio stories check out LISTEN & LEARN 🔈
Manhunt For Canadian Killer Ends In Berlin
- dismember: to remove the body parts from a body
- political party: a group of politicians with a set of goals and interests
- torso: the human body, not including the head and limbs
- promote: to advertise or bring attention to something
- What was the first indication of this crime?
- Who was the victim?
- Why is it not surprising that the alleged murderer was caught in an Internet café?
Discussion Question: When the police arrested “Luka Magnotta” at the Internet café he reportedly told them, “You got me”. If this man was an expert at changing his identity, why do you think he get caught so easily?
show Answershide Answers
Manhunt for Canadian Killer Ends In Berlin
A Canadian man accused of killing and dismembering a university student in Montreal has been arrested in Berlin after a weeklong international manhunt. Investigators began looking for a man going by the name of “Luka Magnotta” after a human foot and hand were mailed to some Canadian political parties. The victim was a 33-year-old Chinese national who had been attending Concordia University. Canadian police found the victim’s torso in a suitcase outside Magnotta’s apartment in Montreal. Additional body parts were mailed to two Vancouver schools. The two men were reportedly dating, and the killing was posted online. Magnotta was picked up by police in an Internet café in Berlin when an employee there recognized Magnotta after seeing the story in the news. Magnotta, a man obsessed with promoting himself on the Internet, had previously posted information online about how to disappear.
- The first indication of this crime was that human remains were sent to the offices of some Canadian political parties.
- The victim was a 33-year-old Chinese national who was studying at Concordia University.
- It is not surprising that the alleged murderer was caught in an Internet café because he was reportedly obsessed with promoting himself online.