dateline: 07 November 2018
Mexico City Offers Resting Point for Caravan
- migrant: a person who crosses his/her border in search of a new place to live and work
- wave: one of several large groups or stages
- caravan: a group of people travelling together
- milestone: a major achievement in one’s life or project
- on foot: by walking
- invasion: an unwelcome, forceful entrance into an area or country
- asylum: protection by another nation due to danger in one’s own country
Mexico City Offers Resting Point for Caravan
- What milestone did the migrants achieve this week?
- What is the ultimate goal of the migrants?
- What is President Trump’s response to the caravan?
Approximately two-thirds of Hondurans live in poverty and many in the caravan have left gang-ridden communities. Can/Should the US refuse these migrants if they seek political asylum?
show Answershide Answers
Mexico City Offers Resting Point for Migrant Caravan
Over 4,000 migrants from Central America have made it to a rest stop at a sports stadium in Mexico City where they are receiving water, food, and shelter. The first wave in the caravan left eastern Honduras on October 13 and many, including small children, have walked most of the way on foot. After travelling over 1,600 kilometers, the migrants consider Mexico City a major milestone. The goal of the migrants is to reach the US in hopes of finding employment opportunities and a safer place to live. President Trump, however, has called the caravan an invasion and has threatened to close the US-Mexico border to prevent the migrants from entering the US. Some of the migrants say they will seek asylum in Mexico instead. Two more groups are following close behind and should arrive in Mexico’s capital in the next few days.
- The first wave of migrants reached Mexico City where they are receiving food, water, and shelter. Reaching Mexico’s capital is a major milestone since many got there by foot.
- The ultimate goal of the migrants is to cross into the US and find employment and a safe place to live.
- President Trump has called the caravan an invasion and threatened to shut down the US-Mexico border.
First, thank you for this week’s audio news report.
Second, I could understand the audio news report without seeing the text easily and could fill in the blanks all the words except the word employment.
Sometimes, I’m surprised why I cannot understand some easy words?
Third, I’m also surprised how do the migrants want to reach the US while everything is unknown and uncertain?
Why and how were they so sure for entering the US that they were traveling over 1,600 kilometers?
I hope someone to answer my above questions kindly.
Thanks to you and Teacher Josef who’s the founder of English Club because my English language is improving day to day and it’s because of you and English Club.
Best wishes and have an excellent week in nice Canada,
Bijan from the Persian Gulf
it is a pity that these people are seeking peace and a good life in another country.surely they are not criminal but they may cause some troubles to the host country. I HOPE A solution would be found for them and they could reach what they want.
Thanks for this listening subject. But I would like to say this vital issue about immigration to USA. Long time US has tried to attract genius and High Tech people to united state from around of the world and now makes US as an opportunity country for living and working and now do not let other nations use these opportunities and even call these migrant people as gang or criminal people. Be sure very soon intelligent people will be aware that they must help their country then other one ” Charity starts at home”
Daniel R. says:
Is difficult to understand them because we aren’t on their shoes. But that kind of political theme has a lot of faces. First of all the migrants are seeking a better place to live and they are leaving their country to overcome poverty.
Another hand Mr. Donal Thrump is in charge to cover her country and he must protect any disturb.
Unfortunately, migrants have done a lot of stuff against themselves.
Good podcast and interesting theme.
williams cortez says:
mr president trump doesn’t want the migrant to enter the usa, because mr trump believes that many of the migran are criminals
Marie-Danielle O’Reilly says:
Very sad story!
I am thinking about the children. What are they learning about their
childhood ? Fleeing, always fleeing…
I hope Trump will have a heart for them.
Thanks a lot for helping in learning English