dateline: 13 July 2016
NB! From January 2020 Listen to News will change to Listen & Learn.
“Pokémon Go” Takes World by Storm
- take by storm: to become suddenly popular or successful
- augmented reality: technology that overlays digital information over a user’s real-time view on a device
- landmark: a well-known location or marker (e.g., a park or statue)
- mixed reviews: opinions that range from good to bad
- inappropriate: not socially acceptable
“Pokémon GO” Takes World by Storm
- Why does the report mention Australia?
- What examples are given as inappropriate places to play this game?
- Why are some people worried about the safety of young children who are playing this game?
Discussion Questions: Some people say apps like “Pokémon GO” encourage gamers to get exercise. Others are concerned about accidents and crimes. Should the company be at fault for injuries or deaths related to this app?
show Answershide Answers
“Pokémon Go” Takes World by Storm
A new mobile app called “Pokémon GO” is the latest sensation for gamers. The augmented reality game allows users to hunt for Pokémon at local landmarks which are referred to as “Pokestops”. The game, which has only been available in a few countries for a few days, is getting mixed reviews. Many people feel that it is inappropriate that the game takes users to random public sites, such as the 9/11 Museum or the Holocaust Museum. There are also safety concerns. Children who are tracking down Pokémon could be lured into certain areas by predators. “Pokémon GO” was first released in the US, Australia, and New Zealand, but is already being called the hottest app in the world.
- The report mentions Australia because this is one of the first places the game was released.
- The inappropriate places that are mentioned in this report are the Holocaust Museum and the 9/11 Museum.
- Some people are worried that children will be lured into certain areas by predators.
I TOTALLY agree with you Ellen and Amanda I have really enjoyed the text best wishes KAJSA!!<3
Yes Amanda it was really good
Tuty Prasetya says:
Many thanks the text about Pokemon… I download it and use it for teaching my students in listening session class… it is very helpful for me.. best regards. Tuty from Papua Indonesia….
i think ” pokemon go” isn’t inappropriate for everyone because it may cause accident and loss of time
should block it . it is silly game i did not allow my brothers to install. it is not link by exercise.
Texto em Inglês says:
great exercise, nothing better than a great exercise to learn English
1.Why does the report mention Australia? Because Autralia is the second country in releasing this game.
2.What examples are given as inappropriate places to play this game? Some inappriciate places to play this game such as the 9/11 museum, the Holocaust museum, etc.
3.Why are some people worried about the safety of young children who are playing this game?Because their children can lured into certain areas by predators and they can under dangerous situations.
Discussion question: I think Pokemon Go is a aventure game, It helps users relax and exercise but some crimers took advantage of using GPS to play games to rob, terrorize or kipnap. I think company haven’t any faults, If you feel unsafety, you cann’t play it.
The vocabulary isn’t easy. Good exercise. The listening I don’t like.