Roses And Apples Are Related
Interesting Facts in Easy English
- herb: plant used for flavour, food, scent, or medicine
- shrub: a woody plant that doesn’t grow as high as a tree
- petal: an individual segment of a flower, often coloured
- symbolic: representative of something
- nutrition: food that is needed for growth and health
- boost: increase
- lift one’s spirits: put someone in a better mood
Rose and Apples Are Related
- What is the name of the plant family that apples and roses belong to?
- What characteristics do flowering plants in this family share?
- Why are apples traditionally given to teachers?
Discussion Question: What makes a better gift, food or flowers? Would you rather receive a basket of fruit or a bouquet of flowers?
show Answershide Answers
Roses and Apples Are Related
Did you know that apples and roses are from the same family? Apples, peaches, pears, and plums are all from the Rose family (Rosaceae).Almonds, strawberries, and cherries are too. If you look closely at the flowers on these herbs, shrubs, and trees, you will notice the similarities. Flowering plants from the Rose family have a cup-like shape with five petals and oval-shaped leaves. While lovers often give each other roses as gifts, students often give their teachers apples. Where did this tradition come from? Historically, apples have been associated with nutrition. Giving an apple to a teacher is a symbolic way of wishing your teacher good health. Does an apple a day truly keep the doctor away? Many fruits and herbs from the Rose family have health benefits. While eating berries may boost your brain power, having fresh-cut flowers in your home may lift your spirits.
- The name of the plant family that apples and roses belong to is the Rose family (Rosacea).
- Flowering plants from this family have a cup-like shape with five petals and oval leaves.
- Apples are traditionally given to teachers because they symbolize good health.
I actually never knew those facts. Thanks for the help!!
Mike Jacobs says:
That is such an interesting fact about apples and roses. Good to know