Internet Vocabulary: Abbreviations
The Internet is full of abbreviations. As you probably know, www stands for “world wide web”. An abbreviation is a short form of a long word. Knowing the full word may help you remember the vocabulary. Here are 5 abbreviations you need to know and understand when using the Internet in English:
- URL: Uniform Resource Locator (noun): the address of a web page
Ex: The URL of this site is https://www.englishclub.com.
- HTML: Hypertext Markup Language (noun): tags and code used to write pages for viewing on the Internet
Ex: Learn some basic HTML before you create your own web page.
- IM: Instant Message (verb or noun): to chat with others who are online and logged into the same program
Ex: You can IM your friends if they are on Facebook at the same time as you.
- DM: Direct Message (verb or noun): to send a message to a person’s inbox in a network
Ex: If you have something private to say on twitter, send a DM instead of a public tweet.
- SEO: Search Engine Optimization (noun): tricks for getting more visitors to your web page
Ex: Choosing strong keywords is important for SEO.
Tara Benwell is a Canadian freelance writer and editor who specializes in materials and articles for the ELT industry.