Checking Guests In and Out
These are typical phrases and expressions to use when when a guest checks in or checks out of your hotel. Review these expressions and read the sample conversation. Then test your understanding with the quick quiz.
Front Desk Receptionist
- What name is the reservation under?
- How long will you be staying?
- Are you planning on checking out tomorrow?
- I'm afraid you can't check in until after 4:00 pm.
- What type of vehicle are you driving?
- Do you know the license plate number of your vehicle?
- Complimentary breakfast is served in the lobby between 8 and 10 am.
- I'll give you two room keys.
- The dining room is on the main floor at the end of the hall.
- The weight room and sauna are on the top floor.
- Just call the front desk if you need any extra towels or pillows.
- We have a reservation under Jill McMann.
- Do you have any vacancies?
- Is the hotel booked, or can we get a room for tonight?
- How do we get to our room from here?
- Is it okay to park out front?
- What time is the pool open until?
- What time is breakfast served at?
- Is it too early to check in?
- Can we get a wake-up call?
- When is check out time?
Front Desk Receptionist
- Are you ready to check out?
- What room were you in?
- How was your stay?
- Was everything satisfactory?
- Will you be putting this on your card?
- And how will you be paying for this?
- Would you like to speak to the hotel manager on duty?
- I'll just need your room keys, please.
- Enjoy the rest of your holiday.
- Have a safe trip home.
- We're checking out of room 401.
- Sorry we're a bit late checking out.
- I'm afraid we overslept/slept in.
- We really enjoyed our stay.
- We have a few complaints.
- We'll be back next time we're in town.
Receptionist: Hi there. Are you checking out now?
Guest: Yes, sorry. I know we're a few minutes late.
Receptionist: That's no problem. It's always really busy at check out time anyway.
Guest: Oh, really. The last hotel we stayed in charged us for a late check out.
Receptionist: The hotel isn't booked this week, so it's not a problem. How was everything?
Guest: The room was great. The beds were really comfortable, and we weren't expecting our own fridge.
Receptionist: I'm glad you liked it.
Guest: The kids were disappointed that the pool wasn't open this morning, though.
Receptionist: I apologize for that. We can't get a cleaner in any earlier than 10 am.
Guest: Well we had a nice swim last night anyhow.
Receptionist: Will you be putting this on your credit card?
Guest: No. I'll pay cash.
Receptionist: OK. So the total comes to $123.67, including tax.
Guest: I thought it was $115 even. That's what they said yesterday when we checked in.
Receptionist: Yes, but there is an extra room charge on your bill.
Guest: Oh, I forgot. My husband ordered a plate of nachos. Sorry.
Receptionist: No problem. So...from $140, here's your change. Now, I'll just need to ask you for your room keys.