Taking a Reservation
Here are some typical phrases and expressions to use when when a guest makes a booking to stay at your hotel. Review these expressions and read the sample conversation. Then check your understanding with the quick quiz.
Front Desk Receptionist
- Enterprise Hotels, Lise speaking. How can I help you?
- What date are you looking for?
- How long will you be staying?
- How many adults will be in the room?
- I'm afraid we are booked that weekend.
- There are only a few vacancies left.
- We advise that you book in advance during peak season.
- Will two double beds be enough?
- Do you want a smoking or non-smoking room?
- The dining room is open from 4 pm until 10 pm.
- We have an indoor swimming pool and sauna.
- We serve a continental breakfast.
- Cable television is included, but the movie channel is extra.
- Take Exit 8 off the highway and you'll see us a few kilometers up on the left hand side.
- The rate I can give you is 99.54 with tax.
- We require a credit card number for a deposit.
- I'd like to make a reservation for next week.
- Is it necessary to book ahead?
- Do you charge extra for two beds?
- How much is it for a cot?
- Do you offer free breakfast?
- Is there a restaurant in the hotel?
- Do the rooms have refrigerators?
- Do you do group bookings?
- Is there an outdoor pool?
- Do you have any cheaper rooms?
- When is it considered off- season?
Receptionist: Thanks for calling Quality Inn. Morine speaking.
Caller: Hello. I'm interested in booking a room for the September long weekend.
Receptionist: I'm afraid we're totally booked for that weekend. There's a convention in town and we're the closest hotel to the convention centre.
Caller: Oh, I didn't realize. Well what about the weekend after that?
Receptionist: So... Friday the seventeenth?
Caller: Yes. Friday and Saturday.
Receptionist: It looks like we have a few vacancies left. We recommend that you make a reservation, though. It's still considered peak season then.
Caller: Okay. Do you have any rooms with two double beds? We're a family of four.
Receptionist: Yes, all of our rooms have two double beds. The rate for that weekend is $129 dollars a night.
Caller: That's reasonable. And do you have cots? One of my daughters might be bringing a friend.
Receptionist: We do, but we also charge an extra ten dollars per person for any family with over four people. The cot is free.
Caller: Okay, but I'm not positive if she is coming. Can we pay when we arrive?
Receptionist: Yes, but we do require a fifty dollar credit card deposit to hold the room. You can cancel up to five days in advance and we will refund your deposit.
Caller: Great, I'll call you right back. I have to find my husband's credit card.
Receptionist: Okay. Oh, and just to let you know...our outdoor pool will be closed, but our indoor pool is open.