English for Taxi Drivers
Phrases | Wordchecker | Conversation with test
Phrases that taxi drivers can use with English-speaking passengers.
- Hi / Hello
- Good morning
- Good afternoon
- Good evening
- How are you today?
- Hi. I can take 4 passengers.
- Where can I take you?
- Where are you going?
- What's your destination?
- I don't know that place. Do you have a map?
- Can you show me on this map?
- Are you in a hurry?
- It is very close.
- It is pretty far away.
- It will take about 15 minutes.
- It takes about one hour to get there.
- It is faster to take the expressway but you have to pay the toll.
Understanding the passenger
- Speak slowly, please.
- Sorry, I don't understand.
- Yes, I understand. I'll take you there.
- Please ask someone to write it in Thai / Chinese / etc.
- No problem.
Special instructions / requests
- I'll put your luggage in the boot / trunk.
- Put on your seat belt, please.
- Is it okay if I open a window?
- Is the air-conditioning okay?
- Please don't eat in the car.
- No smoking, please.
- Do you want me to wait?
- I have to get some gas.
- It's rush hour.
- There's a traffic jam.
- The traffic is bad over there. You'll get there faster if you walk from here.
- I think there's been an accident.
- I'll try a different way.
Fare and fees
- The total price is $10.
- Thank you for the tip.
- Do you have smaller notes/bills?
- I don't have any change.
- The customer pays for the expressway, OK?
- You in a hurry? Take the expressway?
- There is a tollway fee. You pay the fee, ok?
- Watch out for motorcycles before getting out!
- Don't forget your things.
- Thank you for your business.
- Hope to see you again.
- It's been nice chatting with you.
- Enjoy your stay in Thailand / China / etc.
- You're welcome.
- Sorry, that is out of my boundaries.
- I can't go there. I would have to come back without a fare.
- Sorry, I don't go to the airport.
- I'm all done for the day / night.
- I have to return the car on time.
- My car needs servicing.
- I'm sorry. Have a nice day.
- I can call another driver / company for you.
- Have you been here before?
- Are you from around here?
- How do you like Bangkok / Beijing / etc?
- Are you here on business?
- Are you staying long?
- Good weather, huh? Not too hot, not too cold.
- I hope the weather gets better for you.
Things a passenger could say
- Can I get a ride?
- How many people can you fit?
- How long will it take?
- Please wait for me.
- You can keep the meter running.
- Do you have a flat fee to the airport?
- I'm in a bit of a rush.
- Can we get there by 10 o'clock / noon / 4pm / etc?
- Could you slow down, please?
- Is this the quickest way?
- Do you take credit cards?
- Do you have change?
- Keep the change.
- Thanks for the ride / lift.
- passenger: person travelling in car, bus, train (not the driver)
- destination: place where you want to go
- map: diagram or picture showing streets and roads
- in a hurry: rushed; need to go fast
- expressway / motorway: fast road
- tollway: fast road with fee
- toll: charge; fee
- boot / trunk: box at back of car for luggage, cases etc
- seat belt: strap to hold somebody in their seat in a car or airplane
- accident: crash; a car hitting another car or a person
- fee: price; charge
- note/bill: paper money
- boundaries: limits
- fare: price for taxi; passenger
- flat fee: fixed price
- in a rush: in a hurrry; late; want to go fast
Read this conversation between a taxi driver and passenger. Then do the test to check your understanding.
||Hi. Where are you going?
||To the train station, please.
||Shall I put your bag in the trunk?
||No thanks. I'll keep it with me. How long will it take to the station?
||About 30 minutes. Are you in a hurry?
||Yes, I'm a bit late.
||We can take the expressway. There's an extra charge, okay?
||That's okay, thanks.
||Fasten your seatbelt, please.
||Here's the expressway. Can I have $3 for the fee?
||Here you are.
||Are you catching a train at the station?
||Yes, I'm going to the beach to meet some friends.
| Taxi driver
||Okay. Here is the station.
||Thank you. How much is it?
||Here's $60. Keep the change.
||Thanks. Don't forget your things.
||Okay. Bye. Have a good day!