Here are some great controversial statements to get the conversation going. Use them in various ways. Give one or a few to students for pair/group discussion. Or casually toss one of these statements yourself into the conversation at an appropriate moment. Or organize a debate.
- A woman's place is in the home.
- Fare-dodging on a train or bus is ok if you can get away with it.
- Boys and girls should not have equal education.
- A foreign language cannot be taught. It must be learned.
- A country gets the government it deserves.
- A man should have a wife for the family and a mistress for pleasure.
- All property should be owned by the state.
- Murderers should be executed.
- Soft drugs like marijuana should be legalized.
- Beauty is only a matter of taste.
- Riches are for spending.
- We are all basically selfish.
- Punishment never has any good effect.
- Those who can do, those who can't teach.
- You will be happier if you stay unmarried.
- People work better if they are paid more.
- Committing suicide should be made legal.
- Royalty and democracy are incompatible.