TOEIC Practice - Part 1: Photographs
In Part 1 of the TOEIC you will look at ten photographs. For each photograph you will hear four statements. You will have to choose which statement has the best description of the picture.
First you will look at a photograph:
Next you will listen to four statements. Choose the one that best describes what you see in the picture.
- Choice A is incorrect because the glasses are on the table. Placement of objects is a common distractor in Part I.
- Choice B is incorrect because the note is on the monitor not the keyboard.
- Choice D is incorrect because the lamp is beside the computer. Prepositions are very common distractors found in Part I. Make sure to review your prepositions of location for the TOEIC.
The correct answer is C.
A) The woman is wearing glasses.
B) There is a note on the keyboard.
C) The woman is facing the monitor.
D) There is a lamp above the computer.
- Choice A is incorrect because the people are wearing life-jackets not coats. Types of clothing are often tested in Part I.
- Choice B is incorrect because the boat is not yet in the water. The people are pulling the boat into the water. When you are analysing a photo make sure that you note the main action that is taking place.
- Choice C is incorrect because the life-jackets are on the people, not in the boat. Be careful not to choose a statement just because you recognize a vocabulary word from the photo.
The correct answer is D.
A) The people are wearing coats.
B) The boat is in the water.
C) The life-jackets are on the boat.
D) The drum is in front of the chair.
- Choice B is incorrect because the mountains do not have any snow on them. It is summertime. You may be asked to distinguish between seasons in Part I.
- Choice C is incorrect because the man is wearing a cap. Remember you will not be able to read the choices in this section. Wearing and carrying sound similar. Listen carefully.
- Choice D is incorrect because the sandals are on the man's feet. Both vocabulary words are in the photo, but the context is incorrect.
The correct answer is A.
A) The man is on a pathway.
B) The mountains are covered with snow.
C) The man is carrying a cap.
D) The sandals are in the water.