Graded reader books

Feel free to post here :)

Moderator: EC

kennypunjabi

Graded reader books

Post by kennypunjabi »

Dear Friends,

I am seeking help for son who is 12 years old ( going to be 13 in Nov this year) studying IGCSE curriculum.
I am trying to improve his English want some guidance to select/get/buy appropriate graded readers books.

His reading age is 9 which is 2-3 years below his age, can some please recommend right series of books to bring his level up.

I want to change his school in December to IB curriculum which is more rigorous then IGCSE/A levels. Therefore, want him to up his English level rather quickly.

Will appreciate your help.

Regards
Kenny
ragger

Re: Graded reader books

Post by ragger »

You should look for something like penguin books, whitch have explanations of some words on the bottom of the pages. Other than that, your son should choose his books himself. Only it he wants to read, he will do it.
Thats the only way for his english to improve...
kennypunjabi

Post by kennypunjabi »

Thanks for your reply !

Indeed he must choose the books he like.

He seems to be interested in murder mysteries !

Regards
Kenny
Chinajon

Post by Chinajon »

Hi. Try the Julie B series. Julie is a first grader. She is interesting. If he can relate to her character perhaps his English will be naturally improved. If he is reading at age 9, this may be readable for him. Julie keeps a journal and often makes and corrects herself.
I have done several years working with IB students. Don’t put him there. The pressure on them is terrible. For a boy years behind in reading, it might be to much pressure. Nervous breakdowns are not uncommon with students facing IB level requirements.

Instead, focus on his strengths. Whatever he is good at scholastically, support him there. Maybe he is good at math or science. Promote his natural abilities, other than sports. Get a book that teaches how to win at Chess. Get him a magnetic chessboard. Let him beat you at Chess.

Good luck, and as for you, relax and let him be the best that he can be.
Compare yourself with who you were yesterday.
kennypunjabi

Post by kennypunjabi »

Thanks a ton for your feedback !

Struggling to find professional help for him.

He is in year 9 ( 12 years old) currently doing Igcse
/ A levels ...schools here offer a levels upto grade 11 , thereafter 2 years to graduate with IB (year 12 and year 13). Alternatively there are some schools who offer Alevels , all the way till year 13 these are super expensive ! Not in my reach.

In order to move him to a better school he has to pass the assessment...or else he stays in the current school wherein they give out question papers before exams to kids ...and they don't challenge themselves until year 13 ..when they have board exams.

I do agree with you...I am not keen on pushing him beyond limits but just for survival he has to atleast pass the other schools assessment required for admissions.

Please advise again of he should read the book you suggested earlier.

Thanks