Driving and alcohol

Feel free to post here :)

Moderator: EC

Do you drink when you have to drive?

No!!!
68%
There's no problem if I just drink a little.
18%
Sometimes.
No votes
Yes, there's no problem, I can control the car.
14%

Total votes: 22

Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Driving and alcohol

Post by Dixie »

Many people still drink when they know they have to drive. What do you think?
Last edited by Dixie on Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
francine
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by francine »

it happened once to me. we went to a birthday party which lasted from 8pm til 2am. :wink: i totally had a laughing trip after drinking some and my friends were the ones who took the shuts that's supposedly mine when they realized that alcohol is already overpowering my senses. :roll: :lol:
anyway, it was just a 5-10 min drive away from our house.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
francine
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by francine »

hhmm.. i'm sorry. i didn't answer your question. but, anyway, here's my answer. i don't agree on drinking alcohol when you know that you'll be driving. who knows what will happen. :evil: :twisted: :P
galicano

Post by galicano »

hell no!!!
I'll slice you...
I'll dice you...
I'll chop you into pieces!! hiyah!

masa
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by masa »

My case, never. Actually, I have no sense of driving. So, I cannot drive while I am drunk. But when we have to drive, we mustn't drink alchohol, right?
In Japan, when you drive a car while you drunk, you have to pay at least 300000 Japanese yen (this is equal to about 3000 US $, 1500 Birtish £).
Chet Baker
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Chet Baker »

Drunk driving should be prohibited. It will endanger other’s life even to the driver himself. People usually underestimated the power of alcohol when they are in the stage of intoxication. Usually, it is too late to feel regret when they hurt or kill someone by their negligence.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Chet Baker wrote:Drunk driving should be prohibited.
:OO: :OO: Isn't it prohibited in your country??
shokin
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by shokin »

I drive only when I am really fit (I have neither drunk, I am nor tired.)

Shokin
Nous sommes libres. Wir sind frei. We are free. Somos libres. Siamo liberi.
Chet Baker
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Chet Baker »

Dixie wrote:
Chet Baker wrote:Drunk driving should be prohibited.
:OO: :OO: Isn't it prohibited in your country??
Actually, such prohibition already exists in Hong Kong. What I mean is that the penalty should be reviewed as it is not sufficient to stop people from doing so. In Hong Kong, the maximum penalty of drunk drinking is usually 2 years imprisonment and cancellation of license in case of causing death subject to circumstance.

In my opinion, it can be argued that a drunk driver, by consuming excessive alcohol, recklessly ignores the risk that pedestrian and/or other road user may be hurt or killed by his reckless act, i.e. driving carelessly or negligently.

It can be said that most of reasonable licensed driver are able to foresee such a risk as they have already been told whatever by government advertisement on TV or roadside Ad.

As most of the drunk drivers are licensed driver, it can be said that they can foresee the risk mentioned above on the ground that they fully aware of its existence. Therefore, Driving after consumption of excessive alcohol is prima facie evidence that they ignore the risk and being reckless. It can also be suggest that causing death or injury may be an inevitable result of his reckless act.

Therefore, in case of serious injury or death caused by drunk driving, I suggest that accused should be charged with Manslaughter or attempt Manslaughter.
shokin
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by shokin »

In Switzerland, on 1 January 2005, it got from 0.8 pro thousand to 0.5 pro thousand (only one glass- or two for the used), and the control increased, the amendment, too.

Shokin
Nous sommes libres. Wir sind frei. We are free. Somos libres. Siamo liberi.
manrat

Post by manrat »

I think in Germany 0.3 mill. is a sufficient level for you to lose your licence. That is, if they stop you for an offence such as driving too fast, running a red light etc
Shazzam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Shazzam »

In Australia if you are over .08 your license is removed from you immediately. Then you will face court to get a fine or jail time (depending on your driving record; and how far over the legal limit you were).

.08 is approximately 2 drinks in one hour.

To be honest two drinks really isn't an issue for most people; but if you get giddy or have a medical condition then you shouldn't have anything to drink at all, if you intend to get behind the wheel of a car. Too much can go wrong and innocent people have been killed by people's negligence (drink driving).
Danyet
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Danyet »

Fortunatly there are still some sane places left where it is still legal to drink a beer while you drive.
Shazzam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Shazzam »

danyet wrote:Fortunatly there are still some sane places left where it is still legal to drink a beer while you drive.
Yeh Danyet a beer or two but we aren't saying that it is ok to get totally off your face and drive a car. I do agree that there has to be control on this. People that drive while they are totally wasted are idiots, they don't only take their lives away but the life of innocent people. :roll:
Masayuki

Post by Masayuki »

In Japan, driving with alcohol is big no-no. If we do that, we have to pay 30,000 yen (it is about £150) at elast, I heard. Plus, it can be dangerous for us. I must not do that!
Danyet
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Danyet »

In Wyoming you can drink a beer at the same time as drive just as long as you are not over the legal limit.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

danyet wrote:In Wyoming you can drink a beer at the same time as drive just as long as you are not over the legal limit.
And cops are not around? :wink:
FIVER
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by FIVER »

I think if you have to drive you can still drink a little just not to the point of being intoxicated or disorientated. Sometimes my coworkers and I would go to the bar early in the morning after work and have a couple drinks. Knowing that I would have to drive myself home, I didn't consume a lot.

Another time while out at night, I did drink a little too much but I still drove. (Wasn't a good idea) but I forced myself to focus and made it through the night with two other ppl in the car. I was lucky because my friend's friend got caught that night leaving from the same bar and she was on her way home while we were on our way to another bar! :shock: Even though I DID drink while I was drunk, it's a big NO-NO!! :!: (if you get caught)
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

FIVER wrote:I think if you have to drive you can still drink a little just not to the point of being intoxicated or disorientated. Sometimes my coworkers and I would go to the bar early in the morning after work and have a couple drinks. Knowing that I would have to drive myself home, I didn't consume a lot.
:shock: early in the morning?
FIVER
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by FIVER »

LennyeTran wrote: :shock: early in the morning?
Well, to me it was. I worked third shift, got off at 7am. We went directly to the bar, most times drinking till 10-12. 8) Hm.... late morning?? :wink:
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Third shift? What do you do if I may ask?
Danyet
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Danyet »

LennyeTran wrote:
danyet wrote:In Wyoming you can drink a beer at the same time as drive just as long as you are not over the legal limit.
The cops don't care if you drive with a beer in your hand there. They are not as PC there.
tikay
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by tikay »

People in the Los Angeles area already drive like big jerks and will hardly even yield to an ambulance or fire truck...i find their driving habits so abrasive! I am always afraid to take my child out on the weekends, because people who drink more then... will be driving and risking everyone about.

Although I adore the elderly (unless they are mean-spirited)
I think there is a point they should lose their licenses too...last month an old dame :lol: was driving down the freeway in the wrong lanes...she did not know how she got there, she said...they said she might lose her license!

Just insane behavior!
Has anyone seen the weekly (almost) car chases in Los Angeles, on the news? I swear!...it is pure sport here, people looking for fame and attention it seems like poeple who are CRAZY...who really shouldn't be in the news! at least in my opinion.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

danyet wrote:
LennyeTran wrote:
The cops don't care if you drive with a beer in your hand there. They are not as PC there.
:shock: Serious?
Danyet
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Danyet »

yep! THats Wyoming. Great state!! It's the frontier mentallity.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

danyet wrote:yep! THats Wyoming. Great state!! It's the frontier mentallity.
Sounds like a mid-west state to me.
vince90
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by vince90 »

LennyeTran wrote:
danyet wrote:yep! THats Wyoming. Great state!! It's the frontier mentallity.
Sounds like a mid-west state to me.
You may see a sign on the highway says "don't drink and drive you might spill your beer" :lol:
Annaa
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Driving and alcohol

Post by Annaa »

First of all I don`t know hot to drive,but I think that people who drink alcohol and drive need to punish cuz most of the accidents happens cuz people are drunk.
If you don`t like me remember it's mind over matter..I don't mind and you don't matter..
sweethuman
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Driving and alcohol

Post by sweethuman »

My vote goes for NO.
Because people drink and for some minutes of entertainment and habit, many lives can be wasted if we do any accident or harm someone. this is not right.