No
67%

Total votes: 15

Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Prostitution: Should it be legalized?

Post by Dixie »

What do you think? I wanna hear your opinions!
kimo
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: Prostitution: Should it be legalized?

Post by kimo »

No…..,no comments ..... :roll:
B 4 ME
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

my vote is for NO! anyway, prostitution brings many big affections to the world.
serenella
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by serenella »

I vote for NO, too!
We cannot deny prostitution exists, but if we legalize it, I'm afraid it would be a more spread problem.
frengo
Rising Star
Rising Star

Long reply... part one

Post by frengo »

Dear Dixie, this question requires a very long and structured answer, I'm afraid... I will have to break it in two parts

First of all, a basic question: do you really think that prostitution (meaning selling sexual performances to others) could disappear? In fact, there are lots of men sharing situations like loneliness, difficulty to have social relations, and so on, that do not have a normal sexual life, but STILL HAVE strong sexual istincts. As we all (should) know, living without sex makes our life worse, since sex puts a lot of pressure on us. This is particularly true for men, since their sexuality is strongly related to visual stimulation (seeing a beatiful, sexy-dressed woman usually is enough to excite a man... this is not new, is it?). Please, don't give this introduction the wrong meaning: I'm not starting to justify prostitution, just trying to analyze its origin: good or bad, it has started playing a social role more than 2000 years ago, and there must be a reason for that...
If we suppose that there will always be someone asking for prostitution (this is not a marketing lesson, but the argument is somewhat related to market rules), then comes a new question: what exactly prostitution is? In my opinion, the main possible situations are two: voluntary prostitution and forced prostitution.
Last edited by frengo on Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
frengo
Rising Star
Rising Star

Long answer... part two

Post by frengo »

(follows from part one)

The first case poses the less moral issues: I think that if you freely decide to practice prostitution, this is a personal issue (being sure this is not coming from a mental disease, of course)... this is also the only case where some regulation could be introduced (legalized prostitution as a free-lance job? This could be a good question for a popular referendum...).
Forced prostitution, instead, is a matter of pure violence. This sort of social cancer MUST be fighted at all levels and completely erased from our world! But remember: all those criminals, taking other people and using them as slaves for prostitution, can act and prosperate just because a demand exists... should we prosecute the "customers" by law then? Sometimes I think we should...

Note: I have discarded all religion-related matter, since all religions do not take into account any social or logical issue, they just impose "undisputed truths", so I'm not wasting time with that.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Totally agree, Frengo!!!! ;) I loved your explantions. I would vote for no, too.

In my country, and I guess in other European countries, too, there's a whole web of prostitution strongly related to mafia groups. Foreign girls from Eastern Europe are illegally introduced in the country and forced to be prostitutes. Most of them do not even know about that until they face the situation.
frengo
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by frengo »

Dixie wrote:Totally agree, Frengo!!!! ;) I loved your explantions. I would vote for no, too.
At the moment I would vote YES, instead, but just to establish a starting point. I mean that legalizing prostitution would be a huge hit against "criminal prostitution", but only prohibiting at the same time "on the road" prostitution. By allowing prostitution only in well-known places, with a whole set of rules and verifications, we could take complete control over it. This is what I meant using the term "starting point"... taking away the prostitution from criminal control is absolutely necessary, then we will be able to eventually go through "step two"...

PS I think we have many points of view in common, after reading some of your old posts... pleased to meet you, Dixie...
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

The pleasure is mine, Frengo ;)
Miss. Ladybird
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Miss. Ladybird »

Thank God we don't have this problem in the Islamic world.
Dixie wrote: there's a whole web of prostitution strongly related to mafia groups. Foreign girls from Eastern Europe are illegally introduced in the country and forced to be prostitutes.
Unfortunately, some foreign mafia groups are trying to make secret places for them in the Middle East, too. But the whole society is refusing their work.
Dixie wrote: Most of them do not even know about that until they face the situation.
I really feel sorry for those girls. I saw a program about their work in Europe and the way their bosses treat them. They really treat them like animals. Most of the girls tried to kill themselves, but their bosses threatened them. They told the girls that they will tell their families back home about their kind of work.
May God help those girls.

I think our bodies are something very precious. So we shouldn't make a business of them.

Frengo, I may disagree with you in some points, but I really love your analyzing to the problem. :R:
poro

Post by poro »

Frengo,I really love your analyzing to the problem
:R: :R: :R:
I vote no for forced prostitution...
I think our bodies are something very precious. So we shouldn't make a business of them.
I think, sometimes when I have no way to go, my children are hungry,...I think I will sell my body for my child's meals...
It's just an example, but I think that sometimes we have to do things that we don't like. If we must use our body for those we love,I think that's ok.
Asep
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: Long answer... part two

Post by Asep »

frengo wrote:(follows from part one)

.....a demand exists...
Irresistable demand! :)
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Long answer... part two

Post by Dixie »

Asep wrote: Irresistable demand! :)
You're nuts!
shokin
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by shokin »

Irresistible supply. :mrgreen:

I vote no for forced or prohibited prostitution.

To legalize permit better to control. (If you prohibite it, people will continue "to moonlight".)

A big problem is that many girls and women don't know that they will become prostitute. [They are told, they will find a good job, or much money, or... others promises.]

In United States, how permitted is the prostitution now ?

Shokin
Nous sommes libres. Wir sind frei. We are free. Somos libres. Siamo liberi.
Annaa
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Annaa »

Of course that no.
If you don`t like me remember it's mind over matter..I don't mind and you don't matter..
sweethuman
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by sweethuman »

I think it should be legalized, and the reason behind it is that as it exist we all know wether hidden or what ever, So my logics says that it should be legalized so that all those who try to follow girls, do rapes, incests extra will be finished and everyone who wants can go to the brothel or what ever place appointed and will fulfill his needs. So by this we can by some means have a secure and rapes free society.