What kind of foreign language do you want to learn?

Feel free to post here :)

Moderator: EC

Except English, which of the following you want to learn?

Chinese
8%
Japanese
13%
German
18%
French
18%
Italian
18%
Spanish
18%
Thai
3%
Korean
8%

Total votes: 40

Chet Baker
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Chet Baker »

serenella wrote:Shokin, as far as I know, there are many websites which offer online lessons, but you have to pay.
In my opinion, the best one among the free ones is

http://corso.italica.rai.it/

where you can also find a guide in English.
BTW, Italian has a difficult grammar and syntax :(

RedRose, I'd be glad to help you with Italian, but you'll have to come to Italy to practise it (and it's the same for you, Shokin) I'm waiting for you soon!!! :)
Hi serenella, I want to come too. :mrgreen:
Miss. Ladybird
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Miss. Ladybird »

Japanese, Japanese and Japenese. :mrgreen:
I LOVE it. I am trying to take some lessons.
I am also taking some lessons in Italian. I really enjoy it. :D

But, dosn't anyone here want to learn Arabic? :roll:
It's a wonderful language,too :)
Chet Baker
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Chet Baker »

Arabic is also a good idea. I want to add this one to the above option list but i don't know how. Can anyone tell me how?

Thanks a lot :D
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

I have already known Arabic well. you see, 1,2,3,4,5....aren't these Arabic words? ;)
shokin
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by shokin »

serenella wrote:Shokin, as far as I know, there are many websites which offer online lessons, but you have to pay.
In my opinion, the best one among the free ones is

http://corso.italica.rai.it/

where you can also find a guide in English.
BTW, Italian has a difficult grammar and syntax :(

RedRose, I'd be glad to help you with Italian, but you'll have to come to Italy to practise it (and it's the same for you, Shokin) I'm waiting for you soon!!! :)
Grazie Mile, Serenella, per il sito !

I'll tell you when I'll come to Italia !

Shokin
Nous sommes libres. Wir sind frei. We are free. Somos libres. Siamo liberi.
Meg
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Meg »

I am very happy to hear Miss.Ladybird loves Japanese so much.
Unknownsu, after learning some languages, you would reach Japanese??? How many years will it take? Anyway your Japanese is excellent, if you know some other Japanese, write them please. I always welcome it.

Hi, Miss. Ladybird, I finally can come back to EC since catching a nasty cold and spending busy days. How nice to look at your post :) :)
Actually I voted for German because of my curiousity, but I am interested in Arabic, Spanish and French. (Hi, Idalia. I haven't written to you recently. I've been in bad shape...)

Though I had studied French during my college days, I found it was very difficult in that each noun has its own article. I can't find out proper words....male article/female article???
Anyhow it is good for us to learn some foreign languages and to exchange our opinions and thoughts.
Unknownsu
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Unknownsu »

Meg wrote:Unknownsu, after learning some languages, you would reach Japanese??? How many years will it take? Anyway your Japanese is excellent, if you know some other Japanese, write them please. I always welcome it.
I love Japanese culture and I think Japanese is the sweetest sounding language in the world! I listen to Japanese songs and watch Japanese movies but I fear that is not enough. It is too difficult for me to learn Japanese because I am stupid. :cry:
Meg
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Meg »

[quote="Unknownsu"] I love Japanese culture and I think Japanese is the sweetest sounding language in the world! I listen to Japanese songs and watch Japanese movies but I fear that is not enough. It is too difficult for me to learn Japanese because I am stupid. :cry:

You're kidding! I don't think you are stupid.
Actually I don't know much about Japanese songs apart from "Yumi mattouya"(we usually call her Yumin), "Sazan Oru Sutazu" and Japanese movies. I love Yumin, she is making every song by herself, and the lyrics are sooooo wonderful.
Don't ask me to translate them into English :mrgreen: But maybe some other time.....I can't promise though.... ;)

Which songs and movies do you like specifically?
Do you know "Shall we dance?" or "The Grudge" which is originally made in Japan and acted by all Japanese.
Chet Baker
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Chet Baker »

Meg wrote:
Unknownsu wrote: I love Japanese culture and I think Japanese is the sweetest sounding language in the world! I listen to Japanese songs and watch Japanese movies but I fear that is not enough. It is too difficult for me to learn Japanese because I am stupid. :cry:

You're kidding! I don't think you are stupid.
Actually I don't know much about Japanese songs apart from "Yumi mattouya"(we usually call her Yumin), "Sazan Oru Sutazu" and Japanese movies. I love Yumin, she is making every song by herself, and the lyrics are sooooo wonderful.
Don't ask me to translate them into English :mrgreen: But maybe some other time.....I can't promise though.... ;)

Which songs and movies do you like specifically?
Do you know "Shall we dance?" or "The Grudge" which is originally made in Japan and acted by all Japanese.
I like "北野武". His PR and PRII are great. His recent movie "blind warrior" is also good.
Unknownsu
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Unknownsu »

I listen to Move, a group that has songs that graced the Japanese cartoon, Initial D. I fell in love with them when I first heard their hit single, Knock 'em out. Can't quit this! I also enjoy a whole bunch of other singers but I can't name them off the top of my head.

Here is Move's official website:
http://www.electropica.com/index.html

I saw the original version of The Grudge, Ju-on but I wasn't too fond of it. Don't get me wrong, I love horror flicks. I watch as many Japanese and Asian movies as I can get my hands on. I really enjoyed Ayumi (Female samurai movie) and I can't wait for the sequel! Also, Zatoichi was excellent! I heard the original was supposed to be better, but I haven't seen that yet. :cry:
Unknownsu
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Unknownsu »

Chet Baker wrote:I like "北野武". His PR and PRII are great. His recent movie "blind warrior" is also good.
Chet, what is PR? Do you mean BR? Battle Royale I and II? If so, I thought one was awesome. Two, however, lack in plot quality. Blind Warrior is Zatoichi. Great movie!
Chet Baker
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Chet Baker »

Unknownsu wrote:
Chet Baker wrote:I like "北野武". His PR and PRII are great. His recent movie "blind warrior" is also good.
Chet, what is PR? Do you mean BR? Battle Royale I and II? If so, I thought one was awesome. Two, however, lack in plot quality. Blind Warrior is Zatoichi. Great movie!
Oh, yeah, It should be BR. the first one is better than the second. Zatoichi is also good. ;)
Meg
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Meg »

Hey hey hey you guys are so familiar with Japanese things better than me....what a nice surprise!

Horror movies are not my cup of tea,once I had watched "The exorcist 3" and it almost made me insomniac...Remember that huge scissors!? I got my fingers burned. :roll:

北野武 is not my favorite. He may be talented, I don't like him because of his bad behavior. He might have changed,though.
I think he has some unique ideas and those ones have been attracting foerign countri's people. BR? I don't like those kind of violent movie...but what it's like? I saw "Kill BILL" 1 & 2.
Are they similor with "Kill Bill"? Well, I think they are enough violent... :mrgreen:
Chet Baker
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Chet Baker »

Meg wrote:Hey hey hey you guys are so familiar with Japanese things better than me....what a nice surprise!

Horror movies are not my cup of tea,once I had watched "The exorcist 3" and it almost made me insomniac...Remember that huge scissors!? I got my fingers burned. :roll:

北野武 is not my favorite. He may be talented, I don't like him because of his bad behavior. He might have changed,though.
I think he has some unique ideas and those ones have been attracting foerign countri's people. BR? I don't like those kind of violent movie...but what it's like? I saw "Kill BILL" 1 & 2.
Are they similor with "Kill Bill"? Well, I think they are enough violent... :mrgreen:
If you don’t like violent movie, you must have seen this one “世界の中心で、愛をさけぶ “, I like this movie, it is quite touching as I believe that the feeling of love will never fade away even your lover is dead. Ken Hirai’s “瞳をとじて” is perfect. It has been translated to Cantonese already. But the first impression of Japanese version cannot be replaced. Ken’s version is the best.

I have seen Kill Bill 1 & 2. In fact, BR series and Kill Bill are completely different. I like Quentin Tarantino, the director of Kill Bill, since Pulp Fiction. Quentin is talented director. Nevertheless, I think that Kill Bill is not as good as Pulp Fiction or Jackie Brown. It is because the shot he took in Kill Bill was very similar to Hong Kong 70’s movies (Siaw Brother production in Hong Kong, the best and biggest movie production company since 40’s.) It can be said that He just copy the style without any alternation. It is plagiarism. It may be a new stuff to American or other foreigner but not to local Hong Kong people. Btw I like Uma Thurman, she is a beautiful and sexy. The Idea in BR is unique. 北野武 want to say something by using his violent style in BR, namely, children(students) in Japan must respect their self-value because life, friendship and relationship with teacher, schoolmate and parent are important and valuable. Usually, people don’t realise how important they are until it is gone. I think that his movie is something more than pure violent. Kill Bill is pure violent.
Meg
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Meg »

Thank you for your information!

I like Quentine Tarantino, and his Pulp Fiction. I agree with you about Uma. If I remember right, Uma is Tim Robins' wife.

I have not watched "世界中の中心で愛をさけぶ” yet....sorry. maybe I will try to rent the video some other time and BR, too.

Anyhow we have wandered from the main subjedt. :mrgreen:
vickii

Post by vickii »

I will prefer
1.Chinese
2. Japnese
3. Korean
4. French
China is now developing very fast....so for travelling and communication chinese is the best option...
Japnese also a facinating language....it is very interesting......Japan has a very rich heritage and history...
Korea is now a hub for tourists ...its beauty spellbounds us ...makes us eager to learn about it more...
after all French is a option....because we should learn it ..if we have a plan to visit france....
vote for
Chinese :R:
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

I am thinking of going to German classes this summer.
Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

Dixie wrote:I am thinking of going to German classes this summer.
You are a brave girl, then. I've heard that German is very difficult to learn, mostly the pronunciation.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

I know, Lalee. I studied German for four years, but you know, when you don't keep practising, you forget. So I would like to start anew and refresh my humble knowledge of the language :roll: ;)
Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

Oh yeah, Dix. That' true. My English teacher keeps saying that all the time and he always advises their students to practice the language otherwise they will forget it. :(

So you've studied German for four years. Wow. I bet your German is very good. ;)
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

No, it isn't :( I am forgetting it quickly. And it's been around five years since I last studied it :(
Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

Dixie wrote:No, it isn't :( I am forgetting it quickly. And it's been around five years since I last studied it :(
Oh, poor Dix. But hey, 5 years is not that much. I guess it's difficult to practice a language when you are not in touch with people who speak it. Hmm...Don't you have German friends to practice with? Maybe you should get one over the internent that way you will be able to practice your German and not forgetting it. Anyhow, good luck with your class!! :D
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Thank you, sweetie :!:
ProfessorVerb
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by ProfessorVerb »

RedRose wrote:When I was a Physician, I ever cured my patients with diverse medicines from different countries, of course, according to patients' states of illness.
That is very impressive, Rose. I've written extensively about "nontraditional" medicines (at least from a Western perspective), particularly acupuncture and herbal remedies. Do you still practice?
manrat

Post by manrat »

I know German, English and Russian and my next goal is to learn Spanish. My husband is American but some of his family has a Mexican origin and some speak only Spanish. So I wanna learn it, to be able to communicate with them better.
Dawn
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Dawn »

Spanish?!?
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

ProfessorVerb wrote:
RedRose wrote:When I was a Physician, I ever cured my patients with diverse medicines from different countries, of course, according to patients' states of illness.
That is very impressive, Rose. I've written extensively about "nontraditional" medicines (at least from a Western perspective), particularly acupuncture and herbal remedies. Do you still practice?
I don't know about acupuncture and herbal remedies, that isn't my speciality :) my speciality is western medicine.
idalia
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by idalia »

manrat wrote:I know German, English and Russian and my next goal is to learn Spanish. My husband is American but some of his family has a Mexican origin and some speak only Spanish. So I wanna learn it, to be able to communicate with them better.
If you need any help with Spanish, I might help you. ;)

By the way, how old are you manrat????
manrat

Post by manrat »

I'm sure you'll do well. Many people have told me already that German (my mother tongue) is difficult to learn. I start to believe it :mrgreen: My husband said the same. His native language is English and he tries to learn German. He realized that there are many words in German and English that have similarities like perfect/perfekt, fish/Fisch or family/Familie and so on. However, he keeps telling me that not learning the vocabulary is hard, but to master the correct pronounciation. Also, Germans use many English words on a daily basis such as baby, internet, babysitter, download, last-minute, chat, call, browser, cool, kids, manager, workshop and many many other words.

(Idalia, I'm 27.)
shokin
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by shokin »

I think than french is more difficult to learn for german-speaking people than german for french-speaking people, especially for pronunciations (Aussprechen).

Shokin
Nous sommes libres. Wir sind frei. We are free. Somos libres. Siamo liberi.
nien

Post by nien »

My mother tongue is Javanese.
National language is Indonesia.
And I'm studying Japanese now
:D Ganbarimasu
hishgee

Post by hishgee »

i want learn chinese, today the most people in china, so there are lot of business idea. next time i want vizited to china.
lekimtoan

Post by lekimtoan »

I voted for German because i 'm studying German at university.That's very difficult for leaning it.So hard!
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

manrat wrote:I'm sure you'll do well. Many people have told me already that German (my mother tongue) is difficult to learn. I start to believe it :mrgreen: My husband said the same. His native language is English and he tries to learn German. He realized that there are many words in German and English that have similarities like perfect/perfekt, fish/Fisch or family/Familie and so on. However, he keeps telling me that not learning the vocabulary is hard, but to master the correct pronounciation. Also, Germans use many English words on a daily basis such as baby, internet, babysitter, download, last-minute, chat, call, browser, cool, kids, manager, workshop and many many other words.
Apart from vocabulary and gender, the most difficult part of learning German is, in my opinion, inflections. My goodness, took a lot to memorize and learn!

Post by 123456 »

If my English were very good and I had more time, I would learn Chinese. Because China has an enormous and rich culture. Now and future Chinese economy will be one of biggest economy. Many business will be worked with Chinese. So I need to speak Chinese well for my business.
espretu

Post by espretu »

i want learn Vietnamese
Hoc Tieng Viet
"Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. " - Mark Twain
Etore
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Etore »

Firstly I want to learn Spanish, cause all coutries in South America speak Spanish and Brazil is the exception. After that I want to learn Italian cause my grandparents came from Italy.

Bye for now.
Etore
sg0243hyy

from china

Post by sg0243hyy »

i agree with 123456 and hishgee`s opinion.i am much pleased to help who will want to learn chinese.send message to me if you need.also i hope english countries or good at english people can help me to lean english.thanks
e-mail:sg0243hyy@163.com
Shazzam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Shazzam »

I have always wanted to learn how to speak French. I took French at school many years ago but never completed the course :oops:

I just think it is such a pretty language (romantic too).
Viktor_UA

Post by Viktor_UA »

French + English couse French is a second afficial language in Canada. But I'd like to know English perfectly.
TearHere
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by TearHere »

sPanish, my teacher in philo1 used to teLL us that if you know spanish aside from english language, it's easier to traveL.. and converse with people all over.. :)

but.. i wouLd also want to learn french and german.. :) :) :)
When all else fails..don't stop.
ahmads
Rising Star
Rising Star

hello.././..

Post by ahmads »

first I want to ask a question about language ...
why you didn't put the arabic language with choice?
I know many foreign people love arabic language ,
in the university of Jordan there are many people come for learning arabic........ :? :(
but I wish to learn ITALIAN LANGUAGE IT"S SO SO SO SO spectacular LANGUAGE
after ENGLISH ...
serenella
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: hello.././..

Post by serenella »

ahmads wrote: but I wish to learn ITALIAN LANGUAGE IT"S SO SO SO SO spectacular LANGUAGE
after ENGLISH ...
Maybe you say that because you like its sound, but learning Italian grammar and syntax is a big challenge even for Italian mother-tongue people... :(
pob
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: What kind of foreign language do you want to learn?

Post by pob »

Chet Baker wrote:Except English, what kind of foreign language do you want to learn and WHY?

** The options of the above list are not exhausted, please let me know, if you want me to add your favour language to the list. Thanks

I want to learn (and I'm doing it) Russian language.
Why? I'm 23 years old and I think it's late to start learning Chinese or Japanese, but Russian language gives me the exotic point I searched... Because I already speak Spanish and Basque languages, and learn English, French and German... but they are not too exotic for me and for people in my city.
But Russian is a bit more exotic. :)
Besides, I have been to Russia this summer, and I have enjoyed a lot that travel, and met a great person and family. So I want to improve my knowledge at breackneck speed for going again next year and being able to communicate without using English. :D
You can help me with my English by telling me my mistakes in a private message. Thanks :)
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

pob wrote: Besides, I have been to Russia this summer, and I have enjoyed a lot that travel, and met a great person and family. So I want to improve my knowledge at breackneck speed for going again next year and being able to communicate without using English. :D
Good for you! I think learning Russian must be really hard for any Romance language speaker.
Shazzam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Shazzam »

I started learning French and German at high school. I found German a little too harsh for my accent; but I loved French. I still remember some; but I wish I had continued as I find it such a softly spoken; romantic language. They can make "Would you like a piece of cake" sound sexy! 8) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Danyet
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Danyet »

Russian language, is not so hard!
pob
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by pob »

Dixie wrote: Good for you! I think learning Russian must be really hard for any Romance language speaker.
Yes, it's harder than learning French... but you don't know how I laugh learning Russian... it's a challenge for my mind, which has been a lot of years sleeping and not giving me much satisfaction... :) I discovered the activity of reading books when I was 19 years old, and I meet other languages apart Spanish, Basque and English when I was 21 years old... :)

Till then, my brain lived sleeping and thinking that learning things like for instance Russian language are difficult.
You can help me with my English by telling me my mistakes in a private message. Thanks :)
Hardi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Hardi »

I started to learning russian when I was 8. It was compulsory. yet I hardly understand it.. not because it's hard, but I don't liked to learn it.... For me was very suprising, that russians have female and male last names. I thinked russians must be crazy. Estonian words don't have gender, there is even no same equivalent for "he" and "she".. (we translate them both same word).
Annaa
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Annaa »

I want to learn Italian cuz I like a lot this language,it`s so nice and wonderful,but in my city isn`t any Italian course and I don`t have how to learn it .
If you don`t like me remember it's mind over matter..I don't mind and you don't matter..