Feel free to post here :)

Moderator: EC

whl626
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: yangyi

Post by whl626 »

yangyi wrote:hello:
All. I have found the another new question. Please help me work out.
How shold i understand following sentense?
And a child that's born on the Sabbath day

Is fair and wise and good and gay.
It's a rhyme from a verse that had been around for a while. It could have something to do with the belief by some people that a person's personality is determined by his day of birth.

gay = happiness

Post by Guest »

Monday's child is fair of face,
Tuesday's child is full of grace,
Wednesday's child is full of woe,
Thursday's child has far to go,
Friday's child is loving and giving,
Saturday's child must work for a living,
But the child that's born on the Sabbath day
Is fair and wise and good and gay.

I think it is just a rhyme to sing to children.
face/grace
woe/go
giving/living
day/gay

It also extols the sabbath as being the best one of the whole week.
whl626
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by whl626 »

Thanks for telling :)
yangyi

Post by yangyi »

whl:
Thank you for your all help
Many regards!
whl626
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by whl626 »

yangyi wrote:whl:
Thank you for your all help
Many regards!
" Guest " is whom you need to thank :)
rodgers

make freinds

Post by rodgers »

hi,everybody.I am just a english learner,but i will try my best to learn english well.I think all the english learners are freinds .we hould help each other. :laugh
whl626
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: make freinds

Post by whl626 »

rodgers wrote:hi,everybody.I am just a english learner,but i will try my best to learn english well.I think all the english learners are freinds .we hould help each other. :laugh
:) Post your question, then participants can discuss it :)

Re: whl626

Post by Guest »

:) Post your question, then participants can discuss it :)[/quote]
you are right.I want to read some english newspapers or magazines to improve my english.which should i chooseto learn ?want you suggestions. :R
rodgers

Post by rodgers »

you are right.I want to read some english newspapers or magazines to improve my english.which should i chooseto learn ?want you suggestions. :R[/quote]

Post by Guest »

This is Peter Yuan saying hello to you. I am new here. I would like to make friends from home and abroad here to make make improvement in English

Post by Guest »

rodgers wrote:you are right.I want to read some english newspapers or magazines to improve my english.which should i chooseto learn ?want you suggestions. :R
[/quote]

Hi rodgers,

I feel that reading newspapers is better than magazines because the english is simpler and easy to understand :). After all, language is for communication purposes. And those tough stuff is supposed for those who have good command of English :).
whl626
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by whl626 »

rodgers wrote:
you are right.I want to read some english newspapers or magazines to improve my english.which should i chooseto learn ?want you suggestions.
[/quote]

Hi rodgers,

I feel that reading newspapers is better than magazines because the english is simpler and easy to understand . After all, language is for communication purposes. And those tough stuff is supposed for those who have good command of English .
rodgers

ref:whl626

Post by rodgers »

whl626,thanks for your advise.
yesterday i read a magazine.I have some troubles.What does "six-fold" mean in the sentence "That's a six-fold increase in its china investments?"
can you help me?
whl626
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: ref:whl626

Post by whl626 »

rodgers wrote:whl626,thanks for your advise.
yesterday i read a magazine.I have some troubles.What does "six-fold" mean in the sentence "That's a six-fold increase in its china investments?"
can you help me?
If the previous investment is 1 million, that this year investment is six-fold increase means 6 millions. In chinese ' liu bei ' :)

Sorry about my pin yin, it may be wrong. I just started to learn :R
rodgers

ref:whl626

Post by rodgers »

Thanks for your help.
I have asked help for my teacher on this matter.What she told me was different with yours.Her answer was:six-fold means more than six times.For example,if the previous investment is 1 million, that this year investment is six-fold increase means 7 millions.
I think maybe my teacher is right.what do you think about?But thank you all the same.
Where are you come from?A student or worked man?
whl626
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by whl626 »

Let me try to consult an English expert :). I'll get back to you as soon as possible :). I am now working on my website :). Hopefully you also find it interesting to you :)
nguyen

make friend

Post by nguyen »

I'm not believe my E so I want to enter here, hope I can do something beter for my E.
whl626
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: make friend

Post by whl626 »

nguyen wrote:I'm not believe my E so I want to enter here, hope I can do something beter for my E.
Sometimes certain rules in English grammar are argueable depending on how one interprets it.
whl626
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by whl626 »

rodgers wrote:Thanks for your help.
I have asked help for my teacher on this matter.What she told me was different with yours.Her answer was:six-fold means more than six times.For example,if the previous investment is 1 million, that this year investment is six-fold increase means 7 millions.
I think maybe my teacher is right.what do you think about?But thank you all the same.
Where are you come from?A student or worked man?
six-fold of 1 million is 6 millions for sure according to some English expert :). Maybe what your teacher meant was total investment for both years. 1 million ( previous year ) + 6 millions ( this year )
Nancy lau

Post by Nancy lau »

hi,everybody! Glad to meet you all here ,My name is nancy ,a chinese girl .it is the first time i come here, i like it at the first sight!
i like english very much,but it's not good ,so i wanna study on the internet and more lucky can find a friend speaking english.

Can i be a lucky guy?
whl626
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by whl626 »

:)

You can post your question at this forum, and we can discuss it. Nowadays, Chinese are very enthusiatic in learning English :) Because English proficiency means good job waiting ahead :P
tottochan

hello

Post by tottochan »

hi everyone.
nice to be all of u. I am Chi from Vietnam. Now I am learning both English and chinese. I just know a little chinese and my English is better. I wonder that you can help me with my chinese.
Thanks alot
stevenlee

Post by stevenlee »

whl626 wrote:Hi King :)

Whl626 is so afraid that one day his passion for learning English is dying away. So he came up with an idea, that is to build an English website named " English Daily ". Since he has to update very often, he sort of reviews what he has been learning and become more familiar with the words and slang and try not to make the similar mistakes he had been making in the past. All mistakes and errors you encounter there were my mistakes :R . I hope others can avoid them, save more time for good English instead of fumbling in my previous situation.
Hi whl626,

You have already won a high reputation here, I appreciate all your posts, 'cus they are really helpful.

I've advertised your individual wedsite in all the forums I always get access to. I enjoyed myself while surfing on your lovely website, you've done an excellent job, I mean it!

Hope the two of us can offer each other constructive suggestions via discussing here :)

Yours faithfully,
Steve
whl626
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by whl626 »

Sure, there is no end as far as learning is concerned. And I am glad to know that you find my site interesting and constructive :).

In fact, this site is specially meant for Chinese people. Because my problems are their problems too. After consulting many English experts I posted my answers there for my compatriot to read.
Tottochan

Post by Tottochan »

Hi whl, King, steven and every body here

as matter of fact, this site is not stranger to me, I have known it for long time. But I have never spend time on any forum ( here and any where). I think it is not useful and I will be wasting my time there. But, when I read all what you had posted here,I found that I was wrong, and I want to be one of you. OK?

well, I am not chinese and now I am learning chinese( just started, and that s why I acess china site). Both Chinese and English are interesting to me. So I hope to learn well both of them.

Whl, your site englishdaily is very good. I found it very useful to me.Thank you very much.

Now I am a guest. So, how to become a member??? thanks

:>
whl626
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by whl626 »

Learning two languages is no joke at all. :) But I believe that so long as you have interest in them, you can learn them well. i think you can register to become a member.
lse

make many friends

Post by lse »

hi,there! I'm glad to meet everyone here.
My name is Shane, come from Taiwan.
Because of english, I found this site,
Hope I can be recongnize by you all.
Following is the e-mail I used.
If anybody has interesting e-mails,
I'd be happy to receive these mails.

lse@ezgo.cc
whl626
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by whl626 »

:) Nice to meet you too. If you are interested in discussing English here. I believe many would be glad to help
Tottochan

Post by Tottochan »

:cry :cry :cry :cry :cry
Is there any one here? It s .....so qiuet!!!
well, I am very busy this time, preparing for the exams ( I hate exams)
Why dont we discuss about some other thing but not only English problems. I think it is also a good way to improve our english.For example, we can talk about our hobby.
I am very interested in eating and cooking. So, can we exchange favourite dishes?
charlotte2

Post by charlotte2 »

8) Hi! Just want to share a technique to further enhance your english communication skills. Try describing any object in your mind. Use the english language and avoid describing it in chinese and transcribing it later on in english. Think in straight english. If you are already used with it, work your way on communicating with other people. Talk with them in english to take the shyness away from you and to make your tongue used to it.

Don't be scared of mistakes. This is normal for people who are just starting up. Try to watch english films and listen to their accent. Do some shadow listening.

Remember, learning english takes time. If you exert some effort,surely, you'll be a few steps ahead to success.

by the way, i'm a filipina and i speak english as my second language. i'm looking forward on learning chinese and french as well. see yah!
;)
goodluck!! =)
kevin_zhu

Re: hope to make friend

Post by kevin_zhu »

yangyi wrote:hello:
everyboday! nice to meet u here! this is my first time here,i think this website is wonderfull.i like it so much
i am a chinese people from kunming.i am a english fun. love travelling listening mustic and studying. i know,studyin the is most important in life,but my english is suck.i hope someone would like t o help me improve my english.hope to make friend who has the same interestes, welcome u sincerely!
my chinese name is yangyi,and my english name is luna.my qq is 50860358 :roll :roll :roll :roll
hi
PETTIES BROWN

Post by PETTIES BROWN »

when i see your opinion, i feel it's very useful for me. i want to improve my english too, but i don't know how shall i do.because my grammer is very bad . when i communicte with the forigner,usually i'm afraid make some mistakes.can you give me advice[/b]