discrimination

Feel free to post here :)

Moderator: EC

do you think there is really discrimination against asians in europe or in the US?

yes
81%
no
19%

Total votes: 21

pinas2

discrimination

Post by pinas2 »

i often hear about filipinos being discriminated when they go to european countries....it's just sad to know that discrimination really exists and it still does...i just want to know if you also hear news about asians being discriminated in other continents...
thanks

dalagang pilipina- a cool chick that is
sky888walker

discrimination....

Post by sky888walker »

Guys, sorry to say that such thing happens every where. Even in the US, a country who always say respect others' dignity, such thing happens all the time. It happened to me as well in the past when i was detained without no reason in the LA airport for the whole night before being released at 3am in the morning. The only obvious reason is that i am asian.

However, if you are a female, then the world is on your side. The US and European countries (a bit better countries than the US), always treats any female coming from asia a lot better than a male coming from asia. This is not just a tale. It's a fact of life. I have a friend who wanted to travel to the US with his wife. The US government approved his wife's visa request but rejected his request. How can this happen ?? You can say by yourself how ridiculous it is. How come a couple (husband and wife) proposing to come to the US, only a wife got approval and her husband is rejected ?? I think in such case, the US government set a very sad precedent that they do not only discriminate people based on nations but also based on gender. What a sad story we have to learn from such a big nation.

Any comment ??
A simple answer using simple words from a simple and humble man
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: discrimination....

Post by MissLT »

sky888walker wrote: Guys, sorry to say that such thing happens every where. Even in the US, a country who always say respect others' dignity, such thing happens all the time. It happened to me as well in the past when i was detained without no reason in the LA airport for the whole night before being released at 3am in the morning. The only obvious reason is that i am asian.
Excuse me, I'm not trying to be rude, but your story is a little bit fishy here. They don't stop you and keep you for hours because you are Asian. I am Asian and I travel around the US with no trouble. My brother, uncles and cousins are male Asians and they travel around the US with no trouble. Did you even here the excuse they said when they kept you? Did you see other Asians on your plane got kept? If they got kept like you then you could say they kept you all because they hated Asian. However, if the other Asians were gone with no trouble and they kept you only then would you please bring out the fact why they kept you instead of "they kept me because I'm Asian."??? I found it really b.s.

sky888walker wrote:However, if you are a female, then the world is on your side. The US and European countries (a bit better countries than the US), always treats any female coming from asia a lot better than a male coming from asia.
I know exactly who you are, but I'm not gonna tell to start another fight with you. Please change your habits if you don't want people to know. For a start, people in this club normally don't write something in the post subject box. They normally leave it blank when they post another post after they orginal. Only one person in this club usually does that and funny enough I know who that person is :lol: . Next, don't compare. Either you hate it, love it or being neutral, but don't compare. And if you do, compare new things. Don't compare what people usually don't, but you have done in the past. Well, that's all for now.
sky888walker wrote:This is not just a tale. It's a fact of life. I have a friend who wanted to travel to the US with his wife. The US government approved his wife's visa request but rejected his request. How can this happen ?? You can say by yourself how ridiculous it is. How come a couple (husband and wife) proposing to come to the US, only a wife got approval and her husband is rejected ??
Oh so this is and the story you got kept at the airport are actually a story of your friend combining. Well, why didn't you say your friend got kept instead of you? :wink:
sky888walker wrote:I think in such case, the US government set a very sad precedent that they do not only discriminate people based on nations but also based on gender. What a sad story we have to learn from such a big nation.
Any comment ??
What's new? It's a country of mixed ethnicities. We, humans, have people of the same race in the same country have hatred for each other or discriminate each other based on whatever reason they find themselves convincing enough to do. It's the people. Blame the people, not the country. To me people don't normally represent the country. You can't say, "oh my God, this American/Japanese/Italian is rich, but abusive to women and racist. America/Japan/Italy is so rich, but it doesn't respect women's rights and it discriminates other people." You don't base your opinions about other countries on what people do. What type of government, the laws, the rules, the systems, the Constitutions, economy, when it was found, etc. are areas you should look into a country to get your opinions about that country.
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Speak well and support one another

Post by Krisi »

brown138 wrote:Hi all,

as an asian living in Australia, I can tell you that discrimination will always exist in all countries. It is in the nature of the human race to be competitive and to regard outsiders as different. However, I firmly believe that the only way asians as a whole can get ahead in western countries is through effective communication. An asian in Australia or America who can write English perfectly and speak fluently, can become an important contributor within their adopted country. This they can achieve through their own hard work and decency, irrespective of gaining the affection of the non-asian majority. So be confident, perfect your English language skills, be supportive of other asians, and don't be afraid to speak up.

To all Filipinos,
Just take this as a challenge in life.
Last edited by Krisi on Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
esl member since 2007
JEROME

Re: discrimination

Post by JEROME »

pinas wrote:i often hear about filipinos being discriminated when they go to european countries....it's just sad to know that discrimination really exists and it still does...i just want to know if you also hear news about asians being discriminated in other continents...
thanks
THERE is of course discrimination happening in all parts of the world, but sometimes, it is very painful to realize that people of one color and ethnicity are the ones discriminating other members of his/her own community.

This is a fact, no matter what we say or do, discrimination will always lurk in the shadows.. even in our home, in our group, in our community, in our country!

Now, it is already our responsibility to make ourselves respected and honored by other races. How can we ask love and attention from others if we do not love ourselves? We should move forward and make our country proud of us.

As a Filipino, respect has always been our trademark in the world. Let us not change the perception of the whole world: we should fight against poverty, terrorism, hunger, and illiteracy. God Loves The Philippines!
Colon

Post by Colon »

We must to finish discrimination in the world. Is not correct what happens in a lot of countries of europe when arrive someone from other continents. This can't exist, but exist, unfortunately....
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

what's new?
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

wherever you are you will find them even in our own country.
esl member since 2007
Xamgin

Post by Xamgin »

East or west,Home is the best!!
Sweet home {-:
Graduated from Soran University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science.
ghourilala

Post by ghourilala »

i am very happy..have a nice day.........
waqar s.paul
ghourilala

Post by ghourilala »

i am very happy ,have a nice day....
waqar s.paul
Muhsan

Post by Muhsan »

However, if you are a female, then the world is on your side. The US and European countries (a bit better countries than the US), always treats any female coming from asia a lot better than a male coming from asia. This is not just a tale. It's a fact of life. I have a friend who wanted to travel to the US with his wife. The US government approved his wife's visa request but rejected his request. How can this happen ??
ahsan
Magdabunster

Post by Magdabunster »

Wow, its really sad to hear about it, im not from Us or Europe, im from America, in here theres not discrimination for Assians, not that i know, cause they are mostly turist or bussiness people, so if they come, theres more money for our country. But here in Chile there's a lot of discrimination with other american's, like people from Peru, Bolivia, Colombia. They came here mostly looking for work and new oportunities, and they are great workers. i thinks is really difficult to came to a new country to find job and make your life better, and not only yours, also ypur family life depends on the one who came to work here. And then you have to add the discrimination, a lot of people think they came to rob us our money taking all the work, they also are discriminated by his color, and they are not really different from us, so i dont understand all the hate. Once i saw a video, a children has been asked about what he wanted for christmas and he said " mmm I want Peruan people leave this place". i think is a serious problem to encourage people hate so much to our country neighbors.
zenyth

Post by zenyth »

It is sad and shameful, but I recently faced a weird example of descrimination in my native city of Krasnodar, Russia. Native speakers employed by one of the local British academic centers openly claimed they were superior merely on the grounds that they are native speakers and therefore deserved bigger salaries and better conditions. Cool, ha? To be proud of the fact that they can speak English (their native language) perfectly - now how ridiculous is that? Moreover, they said local teachers should work like slaves (exact words) and look up to them in language and teaching skills. This is despite the fact that their student keep expressing dissatisraction with their classes. I guess the demand spoiled them all together, so they lost any sense of reality.
Divina
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Divina »

Hi

Discrimination is everywhere even in your own country where you were born. Then if you live in other country you can expect to be discriminated. What people do when they have been discriminated? Some people complains with friends, families and others. It's good to talk about it and take some frustrations out of our chest, but you can do more that just talk about your experiences.

If you were discriminated for a job or any other reason than apply under human right you can file a complain against the company. Let me a clarified than I am talking about Human Right in US. I don’t know if you can do it in others countries.

The Complaint Process
YOUR RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
All people of Washington have certain rights and responsibilities under the Law Against Discrimination (RCW 49.60). Under the law, everyone has the right to be free from discrimination at work, in housing, in a public accommodation, or when seeking credit and insurance. Discrimination occurs whenever we treat someone differently and deny him or her equal treatment or access because of: their membership in a Protected Class.

Protected Class Includes:
Race/Color
National Origin
Creed
Sex/Pregnancy
Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Veteran/Military Status
The presence of any sensory, mental, or physical actual Disability or perceived Disability
Use of a Service Animal
HIV or Hepatitis C
Marital Status (except in public accommodation)
Breastfeeding (in public accommodation)
Age (40+, employment only)
Families with Children (housing only)
State Employee Whistleblower

It is illegal to retaliate against any individual who files or participates in a discrimination complaint.
If you believe you are being discriminated against, try to document what is happening. Keep notes of the dates, times, words used, and actions or conduct you believe is discriminatory. Keep copies of any relevant letters, answering machine messages, etc. Note any witnesses to the action or situation. You have a responsibility to act in a timely manner. Under the Law Against Discrimination, you must file a formal complaint with the Commission within six months of the alleged discriminatory incident or action for employment cases, or twelve months for housing cases.
How to do a search for Human Right in your area:

1) Do a search under Human Rights and you country or town name.
Example: Human Rights Olympia, WA
Then you will see a list and you click the one closer to your home.
http://www.hum.wa.gov/complaintProcess/

2) Click on Complain Process and file your complain online
http://www.hum.wa.gov/ComplaintProcess/Index.html
at the end of the page you will see.

To File a complaint:
We offer an on-line Complaint Questionnaire designed to stream-line the filing process
click here to begin

3) To file a complain jus follow the instructions.

4) If you don’t have computer, then you can file a complain over the phone.

This won't stop discriminations, but give you a tool that you can use against the company. I see it this way: They gave you a hard time and maybe you felt bad because you were discriminated. Let them know and give them a hard time too.

http://esl-bits.net/idioms/id249.htm
https://www.englishclub.com/ref/esl/Idi ... me_169.htm

Bye
elicss

Post by elicss »

I'm pretty much for Divina. Some Westerners discriminate Asian. But I am a WM living in Japan and see massive discrimination against me. There are many no gaijin places. And too many Japanese ppl stare at me. (You know it's true?) Osaka is the second big city in Japan, and things are still like that. I avoid any service with that impression definitely. There are some good gaijin friendly place (restaurants in Shinsaibashi, night spots in Nipponbashi like JEGC or Gilaf, shops) . I'm sure I would feel it even more if I were an African man here. (Again you know it's true?) It was crazy my student's mother said "Foreigners smell strange. Japanese don't." I told her every country has its smell. Japan smells like fish. But she didn't understand and got angry. Actually, she yelled "We don't smell!" lol Don't take me wrong. I like Japan and many Japanese ppl are nice. Guess certain numbers of ppl want to discriminate different ppl anyway anywhere. And discrimination has the aspect to look down others, so weaker (economically, socially, or politically) ppl get more discrimination.