Television is doing irrepairable harm. Do you agree or not?

Feel free to post here :)

Moderator: EC

Television is doing irrepairable harm.

Agree
58%
Don't agree
42%

Total votes: 12

flowerece

Television is doing irrepairable harm. Do you agree or not?

Post by flowerece »

Television is doing irrepairable harm.

Do you agree or not?
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Can you explain further, please?
Butler
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Butler »

Television is one of the greatest inventions even..like the internet it provides us with so much information..and entertainment !!
idalia
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by idalia »

In my opinion TV is a wonderful invention, it can give us, information, entertainment, knowledge about different cultures, so I don't think abou it as a terrible thing :roll: :roll:
Elba
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Elba »

I don´t know where country is Flowerence, but I think that I´m know what is trying to say.

At Mexico there is a civirl organizaciones called "For the best", is an asociation of chatolic parents who argue that TV programs are producing changes in the society. They think the TV is the responsable of all the social problems because they think TV promote bad behaivoir in the young people and in the children. Then the responsability of young pregnacy, drogadiction, alcoholism, and uses of anticonception pills is the TV.

I´m not agree with that. If TV transmit programas inapropriet for children, teens or young people is responsability of the parents talk with them and give then moral values, sexual education, and all that things parents should talk with their sons.

TV is not responsable, TV transmit programas and society have the right to acept them or not.
shokin
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by shokin »

Television is doing harm. I agree.

Irrepairable. I am not so fatalist and pessimist.

See me. In 11 days, I won't have watched tv for 1 year.

I simply don't see great advantages in tv (except for people who don't hear).

I agree with you :

- there is no exchange in tv (there is an exchange in discussing with your friends in the sofa, but the tv is not necessary for that).

- in watching tv, you're passive, you receive many (false, changed) informations. But what will you do with these informations ? what you watch at tv is it really the reality ? rarely. Better, if you want to know the reality and to act, is to travel in the country that interests you.

I don't agree with you : (even if I agree with you :mrgreen: )

We can stop watching tv (even if it seems difficult to some people). Tv seems me to be a greater drug than smoking and alcohol, and more dangerous for our society. But you can avoid buying a tv for our next children. Having tv just for "doing like others" is very stupid. We all have to ask ourselves : why do I really do it ? what I do, does it feel my need, my goals ? are these goal really my real goals ? we can ask ourselves these questions and we can make the people wonder these questions.

Ask yourselves these questions, and you will see that tv is not necessary.

Shokin
Nous sommes libres. Wir sind frei. We are free. Somos libres. Siamo liberi.
frengo
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by frengo »

Obvioulsy, an adult can choose between TV programs, discarding the so-called "trash-TV" and keeping the good part.
On the other hand, I think that children must be protected, instead. Remember that in many countries parents are away to work for many hours, and in the meantime children are at home, eating tons of informations from TV... including a lot of advertising that is conceived to make them act like perfect consumers for the rest of their life! Advertising specifically conceived for children should be forbidden, IMHO.

And, Shokin, avoiding totally to watch TV is an extreme approach, don't you think? By simply taking care to which channels to choose, we can easily find many cultural and educational programs... not everything is trash on TV (not yet, at least).
shokin
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by shokin »

If I had an extrem politic, I would always say "Don't watch tv !" to people. I would maybe even break tv.

But I only "force"* me not to watch tv.

*Actually it is not difficult for me.

It is better not to begin than to stop, like for cigarette, better preventing than curing.

Many people don't really think when they watch tv. They watch tv just for watching tv. I hear them (for example my parents) saying : "What will I see at tv now ?".

Shokin
frengo
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by frengo »

Shokin, I agree with you very often, since you are very balanced and reasonable. This is the reason why I cannot understand why you are "forcing" yourself not to watch TV: you have all the instruments to choose wisely what is good for you, so you could take just the good things from that kind of media... why not?
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

since I bought my pc 3 years ago, I have hardly watched TV.

I just have no time to watch it.
shokin
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by shokin »

frengo wrote:Shokin, I agree with you very often, since you are very balanced and reasonable. This is the reason why I cannot understand why you are "forcing" yourself not to watch TV: you have all the instruments to choose wisely what is good for you, so you could take just the good things from that kind of media... why not?
I simply sometimes put the collective wellness BEFORE my own and personnal wellness (comfort).

Needs have to come before comfort !

Shokin
flowerece

Post by flowerece »

Dixie wrote:Can you explain further, please?
Of course Dixie,

Before there was television, we used to enjoy civilised pleasures. For instance, we used to have hobbies, we used to go outside for our amusements to theatres, cinemas, restaurants and sporting events.
frengo
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by frengo »

I still do all such things, and I watch TV. After all, the real matter is to avoid the abuse of TV. Nothing is "evil" for itself, it's just the way we act that can change the role of a medium like TV... but Shokin will surely disagree :twisted:
shokin
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by shokin »

frengo wrote:I still do all such things, and I watch TV. After all, the real matter is to avoid the abuse of TV. Nothing is "evil" for itself, it's just the way we act that can change the role of a medium like TV... but Shokin will surely disagree :twisted:
Yes. :mrgreen:

The real matter is the wellness and the respect of the group and the nature. Avoiding abuse of TV is only one example.

Shokin
Danyet
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Danyet »

The average person who has grown up in the age of television is already "damaged goods" and does not even realize it about themselves because their thinking and decicion making processes have already been altered by the constant bombardment of ideas and how to act and think from TV culture. Even the commercials are bad.
Shazzam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Shazzam »

danyet wrote:The average person who has grown up in the age of television is already "damaged goods" and does not even realize it about themselves because their thinking and decicion making processes have already been altered by the constant bombardment of ideas and how to act and think from TV culture. Even the commercials are bad.
I take it from your response that you don't own or watch Television. :roll:
Danyet
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Danyet »

shazzam1452 wrote:
I take it from your response that you don't own or watch Television. :roll:
Thank you for the compliment.
Annaa
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Television is doing irrepairable harm. Do you agree or not?

Post by Annaa »

I can`t imagine my life without tv :cry: :cry:
If you don`t like me remember it's mind over matter..I don't mind and you don't matter..
sweethuman
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Television is doing irrepairable harm. Do you agree or n

Post by sweethuman »

I dont agree. it depends on people how they use it. Most of the people watch T.V to get entertained after getting bored from regular households/official works. and some watch it for getting education and getting aware of the whats going on around the world.